View Full Version : Doing Business in Maryland

10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
My business is based in northern Virginia, but I have purchased a house in Washington County, Maryland and want to move the business there too. I have found out that I will need a Home Contractors License in order to do the landscaping in Maryland...and also need a nursery dealer license... any of you have any of that and how much of a pain is it to get?


10-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Call the Maryland home improvement commission or look up their site on line , its a written test , basically contract and selling questions , credit reports and I believe 50 grand of assetts are required . Start now it takes a while to get the license .

10-24-2005, 09:37 AM
I had read about all the requirements and I was even emailing them... they told me that they want a personal credit report. I tried telling them that my company is a corporation with a vastly different credit history than me... I don't want them nosing into my past credit history ...I went through two divorces..they don't need to see any of that.

The company has all its own credit ...my own personal credit history will show 3 creditors and a prior personal bankruptcy from the divorce. The company wasn't involved in my bankruptcy at all!

They told me that they wont license just a company and they need all of a person's credit information.. what a pain.

10-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Thats correct , its a professional license , like a nursing license , you will be taking the test not the company , You can hang the license under a corporation , but you will be the person licensed. You can do all the commercial landscaping you want with out it , but no homeowner work.

11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I just received the study manual for the Home Improvement Contractor's test. Its just one manual... Is that all there is to study?

I had read on some website awhile back that landscapers had to study 2 different manuals for the test...but I have not been able to find that website again..

..anyone know about this?

11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
yes one book. open book test

11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
When you have the license you can sell and do ALL home improvements . Decks ,siding, additions etc . This type of contracting is highly profitable and in high demand