PDA

View Full Version : looking for a name of a maple tree that does not produce the helicopter

ant
10-24-2005, 09:42 PM
looking for a name of a maple tree that does not produce the helicopter seed...

northwest lawn
10-25-2005, 01:23 AM
i can look at my woody ID notes and get back to u

1MajorTom
10-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Acer rubrum
'Autumn Flame' Red Maple tree, listed as having "no fruit"

o-so-n-so
10-25-2005, 02:42 AM
Japanese maple? :waving:

mdvaden
10-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Oh...those little Jap. maples make seeds alright. But, there might be a certain variety that doesn't. I don't know of one though. But most produce plenty - I've seen the seedling trees from them too. Fairly good germinators.

daveyo
10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I believe "Autumn maple" is a cross between Acer rubrum X Acer sacharinium of the Aceracia family. Autumn maple will produce the "helicopter" seed you refer to. The seed is called a Samara, however that said since it is a hybrid some produce very little seed at all while others will produce more. Remember it's genetics and what we see in one environment isn't necessarily what we'll see in another. That said it would be an above average choice in my opinion.

daveyo
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
*Aceraceae family, spelling correction

Dreams To Designs
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Acer rubrum 'Autumn Flame' is the only maple I am aware of the does not produce samaras. Common names include Red Maple, Scarlet Maple and Swamp Maple. Maples do produce samaras at different times of the year depending on species. Acer rubrum's samaras normal mature May-June.

Autumn Blaze & Autumn Fantasy are both hybrid crosses of Acer rubrum and Acer Saccharinum which is red maple x silver maple. The silver maple has one of the largest samaras in the maple family and mature from May-June.

Kirk