PDA

View Full Version : Fall clean ups, fast.

jtrice11
10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
This may not be the right forum but I'm feeling so good about it, I thought I'd post. First year in business, kind of spent last summer observing other outfits. I was a little worried about fall clean ups around here. Lots of neighborhoods with many mature trees. I knew the work would be there but didn't know if I could do it fast enough to make any profit. Well, got my first big job yesterday, 1 acre, the whole property was leaves ankle deep. Knee deep in corners etc... Took the guys last year around 5 hours. Our crew got it picked clean it 2 hours! blowers, 60" toro w/ vaccum system, billy goat leaf loader, 7X12 dump trailer built up. I was proud....and relieved. I think we can handle most jobs now.

LwnmwrMan22
10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but wait until we get some rain on top of those knee deep piles. You'll be taking 5-6 hours as well.

However, it looks good through Sunday as far as rain.....

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?MapType=3&site=MPX&CiTemplate=1&map.x=196&map.y=142

Get out and get as many done as you can...

GOOD LUCK!!!

jtrice11
10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but wait until we get some rain on top of those knee deep piles. You'll be taking 5-6 hours as well.

However, it looks good through Sunday as far as rain.....

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?MapType=3&site=MPX&CiTemplate=1&map.x=196&map.y=142

Get out and get as many done as you can...

GOOD LUCK!!!

I appreciate the input, I'll keep it in mind. I'm starting full bore tomorrow. Would have started today but one of my guys got in an accident this morning. shot the day.

MR HYDROSEED
10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
just curious, what was the bill on the cleanup?

LawnBoy89
10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow. How exactly did you do the cleanup?

LwnmwrMan22
10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Get someone on a back pack blower.

Have them blow all the leaves away from all obstacles about 1' away in entire lawn.

Start bagging while the other person starts blowing the leaves away from all the bushes around the house.

If it's windy that day, start on the upwind side of the property.

By the time you get all the yard picked up, the leaves from around the bushes around the house will probably be blown out.

If there's not that many leaves, I don't do the house second.

The reason I do around the house second is if you don't, then the leaf piles from blowing out around the house get to be quite large and you're basically pushing piles around.

If the leaf piles get too big, you're going to have to go over the same area 2-3 times anyways, so you might as well get everything up first, then blow out around the house.

When the guy is done blowing with the backpack blower, then he starts sucking up the leaves with the truck loader.

Runner
10-25-2005, 10:09 PM
There really aren't too many variations that are more efficient than that.

LawnBoy89
10-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a great idea. All I need is a mower with a collection system and a leaf loader! Hahah I'm almost there. Good luck with your cleanups sounds like you are really banging them out.

jtrice11
11-03-2005, 12:37 PM
just curious, what was the bill on the cleanup?

$200, we have lots of leaves so were doing his property twice. $200 each time.

jtrice11
11-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow. How exactly did you do the cleanup?

we utilize blowers, ALOT. blew all the leaves into 3 huge piles. sucked em up with the billy goat mounted to a dump trailer with an enclosed box. Then took the vaccum system over the whole lawn. Weather cooperated with us, no wind.

JKOOPERS
11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
man you wanna come do some clean ups for me at $33.33 per man hr. i get $500 for an acre me and another guy .

ALBsun1
11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah, how many people worked for 2 hours for a total of $200 and hauling the debris away? Sounds like you were talking about at least 3 people. I'd say they got a pretty good deal.

LwnmwrMan22
11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
man you wanna come do some clean ups for me at $33.33 per man hr. i get $500 for an acre me and another guy .

It's odd.....

Up here in MN, we don't get that big of money for clean-ups, but we can get good money for mowing.

You'd think it was the other way around, but it's not.

In a way, he's getting $400 / acre, or whatever the size is, since he's doing the lot twice, just doing it two different times.

jtrice11
11-04-2005, 11:59 AM

I forgot to mention the guy is my neighbor, I cut him about $100 price break.

JKOOPERS
11-04-2005, 11:35 PM
just curious how everyone comes up with thier prices for leaf clean up s. i try to get 4 times the cut .

topsites
11-04-2005, 11:40 PM
There really aren't too many variations that are more efficient than that.

No, that's how I do it by myself:
- Start with the bp all around the perimeter and the edges, in my case I like a 3-4 foot path all around obstacles, house, and perimeter:
- Then, bring in the 10hp Billygoat and it's all she wrote until the piles are 'set'.
- Once the piles are set, 8x10 tarp and a rake and 'git-er-done,' takes about 2 minutes per tarp, always do at LEAST 10 tarp loads at a time that way you make progress. MOST yards, 20-30 loads so about an hour there, 10-15 maybe 20 minutes with the bp and time with the goat depends on size and how thick, up to an hour for most thou some 2-3 hours. ALL yards: 1-4 hours per cleanup (yup, before it rains a few times thou lol).

Nathan 281
11-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Jtrice where do you dump your leafs?

Ron's Lawncare
11-05-2005, 05:50 PM
The reason I do around the house second is if you don't, then the leaf piles from blowing out around the house get to be quite large and you're basically pushing piles around.

If the leaf piles get too big, you're going to have to go over the same area 2-3 times anyways, so you might as well get everything up first, then blow out around the house.

When the guy is done blowing with the backpack blower, then he starts sucking up the leaves with the truck loader.

Dam i thought that i came up with that idea...it really is easier to suck up the leaves on the grass first then blow the beds and other areas into the middle of the lawn then get them on the second pass.

Ron

jtrice11
11-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Jtrice where do you dump your leafs?

I dump at the compost site in Burnsville, behind Menards.

Runner
11-11-2005, 08:10 PM
No, that's how I do it by myself:
- Start with the bp all around the perimeter and the edges, in my case I like a 3-4 foot path all around obstacles, house, and perimeter:
- Then, bring in the 10hp Billygoat and it's all she wrote until the piles are 'set'.
- Once the piles are set, 8x10 tarp and a rake and 'git-er-done,' takes about 2 minutes per tarp, always do at LEAST 10 tarp loads at a time that way you make progress. MOST yards, 20-30 loads so about an hour there, 10-15 maybe 20 minutes with the bp and time with the goat depends on size and how thick, up to an hour for most thou some 2-3 hours. ALL yards: 1-4 hours per cleanup (yup, before it rains a few times thou lol).

Very close to what we do. We mow first, though. This does two things. It shuffles all the leaves to the top, so you don't get those stubborn ones that stick when you're blowing. Also, it chops them up pretty good, so you are not only able to fit alot more on a tarp, but they pack down alot better. When using the blower, we just blow then into rows or into rough piles. If hauling, we take the mower and back back ovber them with the discharge chute most of the way closed. and spiral inward. This gives us the consistency of cereal and/or dust. They pack much easier and can haul alot more this way. Oh,... and we mow BEFORE we blow out the beds if there is alot of heavy stuf in the beds. This way, we aren't going through large piles on the borders. I hope some of this might help,.... I don't know.

Nathan 281
11-12-2005, 02:12 AM
I dump at the compost site in Burnsville, behind Menards.
Thats the same place i was using Just got to far to drive and to expensive. Are they still $7 a yard. and how much to dump your truck

LwnmwrMan22
11-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Nathan -

There's a place near White Bear / Maplewood that's about $6 / yard if that's any closer.

jtrice11
11-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Thats the same place i was using Just got to far to drive and to expensive. Are they still $7 a yard. and how much to dump your truck

Its close for us, actually I'm not sure how much it is a yard. I know the person who works there and she charges me the same every time. We have a 12 foot dump trailer with 4 foot sides on it. its usually pretty full when we dump it. Its gotta suck if you have to drive a long ways. I wonder if you could find some land-owner that would let you dump on his land and burn them?

Mower For Less
11-13-2005, 01:52 AM
just curious how everyone comes up with thier prices for leaf clean up s. i try to get 4 times the cut .

i get $500 for an acre me and another guy

You get $125 to cut an acre?!?! WOW :dizzy: