PDA

View Full Version : Best time to reseed in the midwest

robby
10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
I was always under the assumption that the BEST time to slice seed or arerate and overseed was in the month of sept or early oct. This is in order to give time for the grass to come up and get one cut or more on it before winter. Does anyone have a diff opinion on this? Thanks!

Green-Pro
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I just seeded a 28,000 sq ft new lawn today, could be late, could be o.k. Had to get it done not so much for the homeowner as for me, lawns are better to be seeded in the fall than spring, so I rolled the dice on this one. Best time here is mid-August to mid-October, but some of the better seeding jobs are Sept. and early Nov. IMO

-Geoff

qps
10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
I was always under the assumption that the BEST time to slice seed or arerate and overseed was in the month of sept or early oct. This is in order to give time for the grass to come up and get one cut or more on it before winter. Does anyone have a diff opinion on this? Thanks!

about 6-8 weeks ago. I would advise 3 mowings before hard frost and heavy N fert. for winter.

pcnservices
10-26-2005, 12:40 AM
As a rule of thumb I use labor day as my time to interseed. I always aerate and interseed my own lawn on labor day and had excellent results. Remember to put down a good starter fertilizer (20-10-10) or (13-13-13)
You also want the soil temp. to be 50° F and above. In the spring you don't want to seed after May 15th.
You can also check with your local extension service for recommendations/advice.
Good luck
PC

qps
10-26-2005, 12:46 AM
As a rule of thumb I use labor day as my time to interseed. I always aerate and interseed my own lawn on labor day and had excellent results. Remember to put down a good starter fertilizer (20-10-10) or (13-13-13)
You also want the soil temp. to be 50° F and above. In the spring you don't want to seed after May 15th.
You can also check with your local extension service for recommendations/advice.
Good luck
PC

I agree, ground temps are high enough for good germination and a couple of fert's...Oct. is too late in my opinion to see any results until next spring...(late spring)

muddstopper
10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Good luck
PC
Are these so called starter ferts based on soil tests for your area. If so what makes you think they would make a good starter fert for where the guy asking the questions is from? They certainly are not considered starter fertilizers for my part of the country. Not Chastiesing, just trying to understand your choice of starter fertilizer. Also pointing out that what is a good starter fert in one area of the country isnt neccesary a good choice for other areas.

qps
10-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Are these so called starter ferts based on soil tests for your area. If so what makes you think they would make a good starter fert for where the guy asking the questions is from? They certainly are not considered starter fertilizers for my part of the country. Not Chastiesing, just trying to understand your choice of starter fertilizer. Also pointing out that what is a good starter fert in one area of the country isnt neccesary a good choice for other areas.

I agree these wouldn't be my choice as a starter fert. you would want something higher in P and K for root development not N to promote top growth as much.