PDA

View Full Version : RETAINING WALL

BKK_TERVKID
03-23-2001, 08:11 PM
I am looking into building a retaining wall along my stone driveway that sits on a hill. It is thirty feet long and three feet high. I have a VERY limited budget and would appreciate any suggestions you experts (or not so expert) might have. I was told R.R. ties were not a good idea because: they rot, attract bees and snakes, and are costly. I'm especially interested in using recycled products i.e. field stones, left overs, tires????, logs. Any ideas?? THANX

grade
03-23-2001, 08:34 PM
check with your local electric company about old wooden utility poles

FIREMAN
03-23-2001, 09:10 PM
Check out any new construction in your area...I have built retaining walls with shot rock(left overs from blasting foundation holes) if you are lucky and happen by as they are loading it to truck it away they might even load it for you...good luck

Eric Mortilla
03-26-2001, 05:45 PM
You can use whats called pensalvania wall stone it comes in 3000 pound pallets at a whole sale nursery. 1 pallet builds a wall approx 25 feet long 1 foot high . rough cost $180 per pallet plus delevirey if you cant get it there yourself plus tax. I suggest getting 4 pallets fo fudge factor should be more than enough estimated cost About $800 to $850 dollars if you install yourself. $1600 to $1800installed by contractor or more depending on site prep. you have to figure if you can build right up against drive way or about 6inches to a foot away. in that case you will need fill. rr ties you would need approx 50 cheapest ties woul run $750 plus your nails plus tax and take longer to install

Lanelle
03-26-2001, 11:07 PM
Just a couple of questions about the stone retaining wall idea. Eric, do you build walls that have to retain a slope as dry-stack walls? Also, doesn't it take more stone for this height wall since the base will have to be thicker, front to back? Also would you use geo-grid and gravel backfill for this project?

joshua
03-27-2001, 09:39 AM
personly i would go find some cheap rocks somewhere so you have to pay little to nothing for them. woods, constuction sites, topsoil contractors that get there dirt from there own property. just to give you a idea, hope this helps you out

Eric Mortilla
03-27-2001, 01:31 PM
it should not take any more than 3-4pallets of rock if you lean the rock against the slope as you build upther shoulkd be no problem. of coarse if you wanted a neater and lee natural appearence you wwoul build thet wall in a straight line. leveling the ground first. and backfilling as you go up abou every 8 inches to 1 foot tapping the rocks straight with a hammer.you do not need any of that other stuff i build these walls all the time . never had a problem . good luck . finished product always looks great . if you would l;ike to see some pictures try http://www.landscapingunlimited.com. there should be pictures of walls on that site that i built along with my father

gina_delorme
02-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Is it correct to assume labor cost for installing versalock is 10.00 a square foot?

AGLA
02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
The thread is 10 years old and it would also not be correct to assume $10 a square foot in 2001 either.

White Gardens
02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
The thread is 10 years old and it would also not be correct to assume $10 a square foot in 2001 either.

Holy Thread Revival Batman!