PDA

View Full Version : Aerate, To wet?

DynaMow
10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
can it be to wet to aerate?

Gumby
10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I read somewhere that it can be too wet to aerate. The problem occurs when the coring tine goes into the ground to pull the plug out, it drags so much mud into the hole with it that it causes "glazing" which seals the inside surface of the hole and doesn't allow air to pass into the soil.

rodfather
10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
If it is too wet, the prop looks like someone rototilled it...nothing less than some complete muddy mess.

Gators_Aerator
10-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I find it to be more of a mess factor. Not only for the equipment, but also for the client.

It will leave clumps of mud that will not degrade as fast as the plugs.

You have to use caution in very wet conditions. Although wet conditions are good. To much will only cause more of a mess.

tiedeman
10-28-2005, 09:27 PM
yes, it is actually not a good idea to do it when it is wet.

Runner
10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Absolutely. When it is that soft, the plugs don't push out of the tines by the next downward push. What happens, is that when they get plugged up and the soil is that soft, the pipes just go down into the soil, push a hole in, but don't remove a plug. This actually adds to the compaction on the soil.

PurpHaze
10-29-2005, 12:23 PM
can it be to wet to aerate?

Like others have already stated there comes a point when the process can cause more problems than what you are trying to accomplish.

FINN
10-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm with Runner. It's exactly how I explain it to customers.

mtdman
11-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Absolutely. When it is that soft, the plugs don't push out of the tines by the next downward push. What happens, is that when they get plugged up and the soil is that soft, the pipes just go down into the soil, push a hole in, but don't remove a plug. This actually adds to the compaction on the soil.

Good post. I agree.

turfcobob
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Too wet or too dry are not good for aeration. Not good for the lawn or the equipment. For all the reasons stated above. But I really like the glazing thing...Too wet it glazes the holes sides and air will not pass....Soil that is soaked with water will not pass air anyway...It is all full of water...