PDA

View Full Version : Fall clean-ups and gutters

Ol'time Lawncare
10-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Who does gutters with there fall clean-ups and how much do you charge??? Is it worth adding it to my insurance???

QualityLawnCare4u
10-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I have done it but try to stay away from it. Last time I was asked to do them the gutters were loose and about to fall and the first time I touched them the first section fell. After this I decided to inspect them carefully and see how sturdy or difficult they were to get to. I dont voluntere to do them the cleint has to ask me first. I feel like getting up on a ladder and having to get on the roof is not an insurance liability I dont really want to risk.

Tyner Lawn Service
10-29-2005, 11:33 AM
I started cleaning all my mowing customers gutters along with fall cleanups back in the early 90's. I charge $35 to $50 extra and they don't complain. I do other peoples gutters on the side and charge them a little more sometimes. I have had houses that pay $150 for a tough 3hr job. I really like the ones that I can walk the roof and use the backpack blower when dry. The down side is wet,cold weather after you have commeted to them and find yourself out there in horrible conditions. I once cleaned 70 gutters on the side after the season was over and made over $3,000 extra going into winter. I sent out letters each year but alot of times you don't hear back from them again if they are not your mowing customer,why I don't know. Also I have picked up some good full time customers for mowing from a gutter ad.

rodfather
10-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Fall cleanups are tough enough without doing gutters too. Sorry, I prefer terra firma instead.

tinman
11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't mind doing gutters, pays well. In fact I'd rather do that than mess with leaves in the yard.

tiedeman
11-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I ran into a customer about 3 years ago with gutters, since then I vowed never to do it again.

Basically in a nutshell she claimed that she asked me to clean out her gutters, which I didn't, and so about $5,000+ damage was done to her garage because of water and ice backup

gman44
11-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I am also doing gutters . dont like the ladder but the money is good . The average price is 55.00 .

meets1
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Gutters are part of our fall clean ups. We blow the valley's out, leaves off flat roofs etc. In fact alot of people don't know who else to call with a two or three story house. I do most of the big stuff myself but we have ladders from 6' to 40' in reach. They are out about everyday once 90% of leaves are down. We also clean out gutters in the spring as well. Good add service and if i or crew is there - that is our money to keep. Thinking about adding gutter screening or something to our business for next spring. Alot of people would go for that around here if I could find a quality product.

tinman
11-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Gutters are part of our fall clean ups. We blow the valley's out, leaves off flat roofs etc. In fact alot of people don't know who else to call with a two or three story house. I do most of the big stuff myself but we have ladders from 6' to 40' in reach. They are out about everyday once 90% of leaves are down. We also clean out gutters in the spring as well. Good add service and if i or crew is there - that is our money to keep. Thinking about adding gutter screening or something to our business for next spring. Alot of people would go for that around here if I could find a quality product.
Home depot carries some good ones. Not teh $3000 type that these big gutter companies seel. But they do work. From what I have seen the metal screened guards work well. They do let tiny pieces in, but not enough to be a problem. Also the vinyl guards work well....but I did one house that the guards kept blowing off. Only thing I could figure was the gutters were an odd size. Because the other 2 I have done have done fine. One is the house across th estreet & I know they are still on & doing a good job.

Jason Pallas
11-06-2005, 11:31 PM
we do gutters too - but not as part of a fall clean-up. it's an add on service. 1 story starts at $55 2 story starts at $75.

Green-Pro
11-07-2005, 12:25 AM
I do gutters if rquested, charge around $10 per side (4 sided house x $10) I wil only go as high up as I can on my 12' step ladder. I do have a gutter cleaning attachment for my Echo blowers, adds about another 15' of reach. Easy quick job and quick money.

tinman
11-07-2005, 12:27 AM
did you make the attatchment?

Green-Pro
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
did you make the attatchment?

No Echo has it I bought it from my dealer.

http://www.echo-usa.com/accessories2.asp#Power%20Blower/Shred%20'N'%2AE%20Accessory0Vac%

Go to the blowers/vacs section they will have a part #

Mower For Less
11-07-2005, 01:47 AM
I have a question for all of you who clean gutters:

What do you do about landscaping on the ground (mulch beds, shrubs, etc..) do you tarp them off, let the crap fly on them and clean it up after, or leave the crap on them and charge extra to clean it up off the ground? What about stuff that gets on the house and windows?

Blowing the crap out of the gutters seems to be the easiest part, cleaning the house and landscaping afterwards seems to me where you would lose. How do you guys deal with that?

Kevin

tiedeman
11-07-2005, 02:08 AM
When I used to clean them, I would actually get up on the roof or use a ladder and clean out the gutters by hand with a bucket. After that we would flush the gutters with water

6'7 330
11-07-2005, 02:48 AM
If you get into gutter's,I would charge by the foot.

lawn_pro
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Fall cleanups are tough enough without doing gutters too. Sorry, I prefer terra firma instead.

exactly......

RyanD
11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I read on a post here that some other's were charging by the foot. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the guy said he was getting $.67 per ft. 6'7" 330, what have you charged per foot? If I could get that much, I would probably drown in the money before I could spend it all!payup

eruuska
11-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I charge by the foot:

1st floor, if I can walk the roof: 0.50/foot

1st floor, if I can't walk the roof: 0.75/foot

2nd floor, if I can walk the roof: 0.75/foot

2nd floor, if I can't walk the roof: 1.00/foot

If a job looks particularly quick n easy I'll knock off a little, but mostly I stick with the program. I had one job that took about 1.5 hours, I had quoted $162, I didn't change the price. The guy thought my price was a little high before I started, but went ahead with it.

Ideally, I'm doing this in dry weather, and I'll take a couple trash bags up with me, and fill 'em by hand, then drop 'em down when they're full. Then I'll take a blower up and blow out all the dust and roof crap, and blow sticks and other debris off the roof. Then I'll run water to make sure the downspouts are clear.

Gutters are a good moneymaker. I don't particularly like doing them, but I can always make at least $60/hour, usually a lot more.

daveintoledo
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
looking at what some of you are charging, im wondering if im too expensive, im chargeing 60 for a one story and start at 100 for 2 story and add on from there for difficulty?

just been placing bids, no call backs yet...

P & L Turf
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't normally do this. The only time I will do the gutters is if it's for my parents house or a big or long time customer.

daveintoledo
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
calls are coming in and they are taking the price.....:p

tiedeman
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
good for you dave...hope it works out for you

AlleganyLawnCare
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I charge 67 cents per linear foot. My average job is around $250. Hate the ladder bit, but I hate being on the roof even more. Second story houses, I won't even touch.

AlleganyLawnCare
11-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry RyanD, didn't see your post. That could have been me you were referring to (in reference to price).

Dave your prices to me are fine (if that is 60cents per foot?) $60 per level? . not enough for 2 story, unless your using a cherry bucket (then it would go up some more)

P & L Turf
11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Theres no way in hell you'll find me on the second level of a roof cleaning out the gutters. Even if it's my best and longest running customer. I don't know about the rest but, I need to be able to go to work the next day. Plus, I wouldn't do it so I wouldn' expect any of my guys to be up there either.

Turfcutters Plus
11-21-2005, 08:59 PM
I have always cleaned gutters.Great money!!

Jpocket
11-21-2005, 09:38 PM
They just arent worth it to me as a solo operation. Suppose you fall and break something. Not to mention the fall clean ups are enough of a pain in the A**, not to have to deal with some peoples 20 year old gutters.:rolleyes:

siclmn
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I used to get up on some roofs if they didn't look too steep. It was so easy with the back pack. Then I wised up and realized that one fall and I am dead or broken. Now I think the same way about ladders. I am older and wiser. It only takes one fall.

Turfcutters Plus
11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
They just arent worth it to me as a solo operation. Suppose you fall and break something. Not to mention the fall clean ups are enough of a pain in the A**, not to have to deal with some peoples 20 year old gutters.:rolleyes:
I'm always ready to fall.I NEVER let my gaurd down.I'm smart about my movements.payup