PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Runner

GLC
04-03-2000, 07:52 PM
How is this mower? How is the company period? It is a used mower, but in really good shape. They are asking $4,000 for it. Is this a good deal or not? Thanks for your help!<p>GLC

Evan528
04-03-2000, 08:19 PM
ive been meaning to make a post about the turf runner now i have the perfect opertunity! today i was wtching a landcaper mow a lawn across the street from a lawn i was doing and he was using the turf runner. lets just say i wouldnt pay 100 bucks for one. he cut the lawn at about 3 inches it looked wich is average.... after he was done more grass was sticking up than was cut.... not only that but there were clumps all over the place and the grass was dry! it wasnt even like he was cutting 10inch high grass, he was cutting like 5 inch grass down to 2.5 or 3 inches! certainly no excuse. i have never seen a mower with such a bad quality of cut in my life. ive also heard of alot of powertrain problems with them. all the way around scags ztrs are crap in my apinion and i advice you not to touch it! <p>PS. this wasnt the first time ive seen one cut so bad so its not like its because his blades were dull. ive never seen one cut even exeptable!

Evan528
04-03-2000, 08:29 PM
made a mistake.... it was a scag super z i saw today. im not sure how good the runner is but the quality cut with the tiger and super z are very poor!

lawrence stone
04-03-2000, 08:37 PM
Last year at my local Lesco service center<br>there was another contractor there with a<br>48&quot; Lesco walkbehind. The Lesco decks are<br>pretty much the same as a scag.<p>I made the comment to the other landscaper that a set of gator blades would be a big help if he wanted to &quot;mulch&quot;.<p>The manager spoke up and said that gator<br>blades don't work very well with the lesco<br>mowers.<p>I feel this problem is do to just plain poor<br>deck design. The lesco manager said he should<br>stick with hi-lift blades.<p>The machine may be built like a tank but it's<br>worthless if it can't move clippings like a toro or eXmark.

lawnforce1
04-03-2000, 10:25 PM
I had a problem with my Scag leaving less than wanted patterns in the turf, lots of blades sticking up. I changed the blades from mulching Gators to HiLifts. Beautiful turf now. With the mulching blades, if the grass gets over 7' it can't handle the discharge and clumps up. With the &quot;straight&quot; blades I've had no problem with this. I agree and blame deck design.

yardsmith
04-03-2000, 10:47 PM
Ive demo-ed the turf runner & even the prototype for scag's new cougar (walker copy), & I say they suck!<br> It took me twice as long as my walk behind, even when you get teh hang of the controls. I don't like inside sticks-they are too twitchy, & are less forgiving on maneuvering, because it's like turning a car with a steering wheel that has 3/4 turn to work with vs. a normal 2-2-1/2 turn radius. You get more finite control ability with the longer throw.<br>Turf runners & walker types suck on hills too. Been there, done that. They have their niche, but a hill isn't one of them. Will slip & spin going across a face of a gentle slope, & you have to go to the bottom of a hill where it flattens out before you can turn around.<br>That has been my repeated experience for what it is worth. All mowers have strengths & weaknesses; Walker types don't have what I need for my routes. Someone elses may.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

mowerconsultant
04-04-2000, 08:44 AM
yeah !!!<br>kill kill kill<br>scag is the devil !!!<br>and a scag is much better built than a lesco !!(better deck design)<p>lol

Eric ELM
04-04-2000, 08:59 AM
One owner called them Orange Junk. Others have said they had hydro problems. It doesn't sound like a good investment.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

DTM65
04-04-2000, 10:03 AM
Sorry, guys... I got a Scag Turf Tiger and I love it. Runs great and cuts like a barber. I can make 180 turns diagonally on a 25 degree bank and not slide or crab. Has low CG. I guess I need to get some digital pixs on the net to prove performance. Can't comment on the specific Scag you are asking about..haven't used it. GO ORANGE!!!!<p>ps - Have to agree with comment regarding the Walker type mowers.<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

ZYAL8R
04-04-2000, 11:52 AM
i second the motion, i have a turf tiger and I'm very happy with it. SCAG makes a great mower. with one exception, the turf runner. those self bag'n Piece of Sheet's are no good. any self bagging unit is no good in my mind (turf runner, walker ghs, explorer). maybe one in a hundred have a use for them. they have to small of a deck, cant see behind ya, and you have no room, no hill abilities, and half the grass ends up down in the engine area. who has one that does not have to clear the grass out every few hours??? that or the damn engine over heats or the whole thing goes up in smoke... you're better off leaving the grass where it came from, double cut , mulch, inside out pattern or something. the self baggers are SLOW. if i needed a baggin unit i would go for a trac vac on a 61, or a 52 if need be. you'll have a bigger mower and it will cost less (in most cases). <br>what do you do when the self bag'n unit fills up? hmm, lets take 15 min and change the deck, yeah, that sounds productive. <br>sorry to be so Cynical.<br>

mountainviewland
04-16-2000, 12:30 PM
I had a turf runner for about 6 months it was in the shop for about 4 of them. The machine cut horrible. Scag offered no help thank god for my dealer. I traded it in and got an 52&quot; Exmark Explorer. After the way I was treated by Scag they couldnt give me a fleet of mowers. I have talked to many other people in my area who feel the same.

thelawnguy
04-16-2000, 02:30 PM
A friend had one, 48 inch, never cut even always looked like steps cuz the deck cracked near the outboard spindle, scag replaced the deck, did it again a month later but by this time the engine had blown with 277 hours on it cuz he never bothered to clean the crap from the flywheel screen so he left it at the dealer and stopped making his payments.<p>Other contractors use them for years with no problems so go figure.<p>Bill

Mark
04-16-2000, 08:51 PM
Evan something must have been wrong with this mans scag. I live in indiana and the two top sellers are scag and exmark, I know to many of my friends in this bussiness run scag and they cut great,and there built better than any mowers ive seen,except the danes. I think what you saw was a cutter that doesn't change out or sharpen his blades maybe even had them on wrong. But scag mowers in indiana have a nice cut.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

HOMER
04-17-2000, 12:19 AM
lET ME THROW MY .02 IN! I own a 96 Super Z and have to agree that for real productivity, it falls behind the others big time. It was my bread and butter for a couple of years til I bought my 2 Choppers. I have over 1000 hrs on it and now use it exclusively for a bagger, I bought a Trac-Vac for it. As for quality of cut, mine makes a real nice cut especially now, without the bagger it did well on everything but bahai, it would miss a bunch of that. Don't even think about cutting wet grass with it! There is no comparison between it and my Choppers but for an entry level mower it has paid for itself over and over. I haven't had any major problems since I owned it except a blown head gasket, I think i caused that by not cleaning the wind screen one day. I have heard bad things about the turf runner from my dealer, I would never buy one now anyway, find a good used chopper and you'll be miles ahead. I have heard great things about the turf tigers too, even demo'd one but the one I tried was having some major problems the day I tried it so.............bought the chopper.<p>Homer

ZYAL8R
04-17-2000, 01:53 PM
what kind of problems was the Turf Tiger having when you took it as a demo???<br>just wondering.<br>:-)

David R Hartzog
04-17-2000, 04:46 PM
I had i scag turf runner i thougt it would be a great mower and now i am out of buessines it contiuly broke down ihad a walk behind and had no problems please DON&quot;T BUY ONE WALK BEHINDS ARE GOOD BUT THE RUNNER S U C K E D

David R Hartzog
04-17-2000, 04:49 PM
BUY A GRASSHOPPER.

FIREMAN
04-17-2000, 05:46 PM
IF YOU WANT A QUALITY CUT AND COLLECTION CAPABILITY FROM A ZERO TURN RIDER BUY A WALKER, THEY ARE THE BEST ,THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

HOMER
04-18-2000, 12:05 AM
ZYAL8R, THE DEALER CLAIMED IT HAD TOO MUCH OIL, WOULDN'T RUN CORRECTLY, BOGGED......? I HAVEN'T DEMO'D A GOOD ONE SO I HAVE NO OPINION REALLY ON HOW WELL THEY PERFORM.<p>HOMER

Gus
04-19-2000, 07:21 PM
Ive got a Scag Super Z as a back up that cuts as good as any machine I`ve seen. I`ve heard Turf Runners were problematic but the new Cougar is a fine machine. A lot of times its not the machine but the way its set up. A Z with an unlevel deck won`t cut well no matter the brand. Also some guys aren`t real good on keeping their blades sharp. Scags are well built machines certainly not &quot;orange junk.&quot;

excel25
04-19-2000, 10:13 PM
Had a turf runner for 6 mths. the dealer finaly gave me alllllll my $$ back and I bought a GRASSHOPPER 925 love it. stay away from scagggggggg!!!

mountain
04-22-2000, 08:04 PM
I have a turfrunner and haven't had a problem runs great , no break downs. I bought it for a specific account a townhouse community that had to have the clippings picked up and the turfrunner has been exellent there . however most everthing said already is true the cut is not as good as a WB , its not the quickest at production cutting , the controls take quitea long time to master most of the help still leave large divets in the grass and absolutly no slopes .

Deer Dynamics
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
i own a 48 inch turfrunner w/kohler motor 216 hours on it...is a VERY picky machine, doesn't like wet grass, and not the fastest machine on the block by far.... but with tlc she's a very high quality fish mower, excelent in tight small lawns that require bagging or close to large beds where bagging is a must ....but as i grow so does my need for larger machines, so she sits a lot of the time, would sell it if someone needed it but she doesn't eat much in the barn ..............2500 would get her out of here though....all in all a decent machine for the right person and application and 2500 is a steal and probably more of a reality than the original dealer price for what it is and does . . snowboss

windsory
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
i own a 48 inch turfrunner w/kohler motor 216 hours on it...is a VERY picky machine, doesn't like wet grass, and not the fastest machine on the block by far.... but with tlc she's a very high quality fish mower, excelent in tight small lawns that require bagging or close to large beds where bagging is a must ....but as i grow so does my need for larger machines, so she sits a lot of the time, would sell it if someone needed it but she doesn't eat much in the barn ..............2500 would get her out of here though....all in all a decent machine for the right person and application and 2500 is a steal and probably more of a reality than the original dealer price for what it is and does . . snowboss

You know this thread is like 7 years old, right?

deere-man
08-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I have to agree with David R. Go out and buy a Grasshopper or a Deere.

wahlturfcare
08-18-2007, 05:19 PM
i have seen people use them and they cut extremely well in dry or wet. i run turf tigers and walkbehind and they are awesome in wet grass and dry.
$4000 doesnt sound too bad if it in is great shape.

Deer Dynamics
08-18-2007, 06:00 PM
LMAO...wow wasn't even paying attention to the post date - - sorry bud....was just researching this turfrunner and got all happy with the keyboard...have a good one