PDA

View Full Version : landscaping jobs

JTS Landscaping lawn
10-30-2005, 12:44 PM
i wont to get into the landscaping more next year and really need to know how to get landscaping jobs. also how do you get commercial jobs and what are some good ways of advertising. anything would be helpful. thanks

slicksilverado01
10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
I what I did to learn alot about landscaping was to read all the books I can find. these are the books I have that help out a ton on how to install deck, retaining walls, how to design, all the plants and trees and tons of tips on all kinds of stuff, and alot more.

the books you should get are

-Landscaping for dummies (lol it really is a decent book for beginners)
-Lawns (ortho all about) ((ortho book)
-complete guide to trees and shrubs (ortho book)
-trees (orto all about) ((ortho book))
-step by step Landscaping (better homes and gardens)

plus to draw up landscape plans I use the program master landscape and home design pro. this you can even view it in 3D to show clients on a laptop (or you can print it out)

hopefully this can help alittle. now this is not everything either it only the tip off the iceberg. a lot more to learn when on the job.

hope this helps you out

mark

Dreams To Designs
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
JTS, the key is education. Take the time this winter to take some classes and attend some seminars. Check the local colleges and vocational schools for programs. Attend any green industry trade shows and seminars. As has been suggested, get some books and do some reading. the books suggested are good starter information. If you are comfortable after reading those and wish to take it up a notch or two, I can expand your library with more suggestions. You can gain a lot of information by reading books, magazines and attending classes, but nothing replaces hands on.

Are you friendly with and landscapers in your area that do what you want to do? They may offer to teach you and share the smaller jobs with you or bring you in as help with larger jobs. Not everyone is afraid of the "other guy". I work with many contractors that share labor and services with each other and are all much more profitable because of it. The key is to learn how to do it right and success will follow. There is a great deal to learn and your success will depend on the quality work you do.

Kirk