PDA

View Full Version : Best time to Aerate

lewdo
10-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I've done some searches but can't find any threads on when is the best time to aerate.

Fall or Spring? Can anybody give me their opinoins and reseaning why.

tiedeman
10-30-2005, 08:20 PM
the best time is in the spring and fall, but the overall best time is usually in late summer/early fall (Sept-Oct). Many people do not realize this, but you can aerate your lawn any time during the growing season.

indyturf
10-31-2005, 01:52 AM
I like doing most of my aeration in the fall. you can aerate in the spring but alot of times it too wet, and also it opens up the lawn for weeds and crabgrass to germinate so fall would be the best time.

GarPA
10-31-2005, 02:29 AM
I agree..septoct is best but spring is ok. Golf courses do both spring and fall.

Microbe
10-31-2005, 05:09 AM
Supposed to aerate when the grass is growing the fastest no?!?!!?

lawncarepros2004
10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Anytime other than when lawn is dormant since aerating aids in gas exchange.

GarPA
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
On a related note for what its worth, aeration does cause some temporay stress to the grass plant so doing it when the turf is already stressed from heat or drought could do more harm than good

mtdman
11-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Why not aerate Spring AND Fall?

GarPA
11-01-2005, 02:50 AM
I dont think most customers want to pay for it twice a year. I do my own property spring and fall as do almost all golf courses.

turfcobob
11-03-2005, 10:06 AM
When to Aerate...Spring and fall are both good but for diff reasons. Both are good for the reasons we aerate...Compaction relief, Venting the soil, thatch control and etc.

Spring is usually best for your new customers. Mow the lawn extra short, Aerate, water and fert at the same time and the grass will react quickly with nice green growth. The customer will be pleased with the money spend due to the quick green on the lawn. After the customer understands the benefits of aeration move them to the fall.
Fall aeration gives you all the same benefits plus it is a big plus to overseeding...BUT there usually is not quick response by the grass plants. So a new customer may wonder why they spent the money to have these little dog turds all over the yard when the grass just keeps getting brown.

Rule of thumb...
New customers Spring
Older existing customers Fall

Gators_Aerator
11-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Fall is a time when more root production is going on. Aeration in the fall helps establish the lawns root system. Come the next spring and summer they will see the difference.

I agree that spring is a good time too, but most of mine are done in the fall.

The comment of too wet in spring is really true for most northern lawns.

If you wait too long in the spring, the weather gets too warm. Sure you can aerate anytime the grass is growing, but the stress and heat for the average, non-irrigated lawn is too much.

I like fall.