PDA

View Full Version : Wild boar hunting

cantoo
10-30-2005, 11:22 PM
I finally shot and collected one of the wild boars that escaped from a game farm. It weighted around 400 lbs. Shot with shotgun and slug from just over 150 feet.

PTP
10-30-2005, 11:38 PM
That must have been interesting. Tell us about the hunt.

olderthandirt
10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Hope you like sausage because that meat ain't fit for anything else. Spice it up and it makes some good sausage though. Hot Italian on a grill - fantastic!

geogunn
10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
cantoo--wow! that is a big porker!

a while back the aussie guys on here posted about their boar hunts.

someone should bring that thread back up.

GEO :waving:

Birddog Lawncare
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I went a few years ago with a compound bow. Shot one from about 12 yards broadside and it turned and looked at me and charged right at me. It chased up a tree and kept on running down this hill side. I stalked it and put another arrow in it and it was over.

It's a good time though! Nice pics.

bobbygedd
10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
i'm sure that pig deserved it.

cantoo
10-31-2005, 06:33 PM
It wasn't much of a hunt. It was just a case of knowing a few things about wild animals and being in the right place at the right time. Two shots and he was down. This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business. The owner was worried they might attack a jogger or get hit at night and he would be liable. Now our neighbours can walk without worrying about the pigs attacking them or their dogs.

bobby, it's survival of the fittest I had a gun and he only had tusks. I would say it was bad business planning on his part. He should have had a better adviser and maybe he would have stood a chance. It's a lawnboy eat porker world out there. Would it have been better if I pretended he owed me money and hit him over the head with a shovel?

bobbygedd
10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
i agree, the beast needed to die. he deserved to die. he earned it. i bet you can't count all the bad things he did in his life, using all the fingers on both your hands. but, in your defense, i'm sure....he was reaching for a gun and it was strictly self defense. i'm sure your hunting partner will attest to that

olderthandirt
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business.

I've eaten boar and thought it was strong nasty tasting. When pigs are raised the boars are all castrated so they don't have that strong flavor to them, maybe thats why the guy went out of business, people discovered what pork should taste like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

nlminc
10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
It wasn't much of a hunt. It was just a case of knowing a few things about wild animals and being in the right place at the right time. Two shots and he was down. This is a young boar so the meat is actually pretty good, they have been living on corn and soybeans all summer. The guy raised them to sell for meat, he went out of business. The owner was worried they might attack a jogger or get hit at night and he would be liable. Now our neighbours can walk without worrying about the pigs attacking them or their dogs.

bobby, it's survival of the fittest I had a gun and he only had tusks. I would say it was bad business planning on his part. He should have had a better adviser and maybe he would have stood a chance. It's a lawnboy eat porker world out there. Would it have been better if I pretended he owed me money and hit him over the head with a shovel?

Ummm.....I thinkyou mean it was survival of the better equipment? After all the boar didn't have a gun. If it were just you and him, hands vs tusks, I doubt you would be lucky.

olderthandirt
10-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Ummm.....I thinkyou mean it was survival of the better equipment? After all the boar didn't have a gun. If it were just you and him, hands vs tusks, I doubt you would be lucky.

Well you got to pretty stupid to bring a knife to a gun fight :dizzy:

nlminc
10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Well you got to pretty stupid to bring a knife to a gun fight :dizzy:

Who said the boar went looking for a fight? If the boar was packing heat then it would be survival of the fittest. :rolleyes:

Cigarcop
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Congrats on the Boar,

I've been hunting since I was little and my mom always laughed and said it wasn't a sport. I said why not, and she said "how can it be a sport if the other team doesn't know their playing" I'd just laugh and say well they always have the home field advantage!!!

cantoo
10-31-2005, 07:54 PM
There were several groups organized to hunt these pigs down before someone got hurt. They really aren't friendly or harmless like deer. They aren't native to here and likely wouldn't have survived the winter. My hunting partner was my son and he was armed too just not in the right place.
I also heard the boar was going to open a hot dog stand next summer and I didn't want the competition.

olderthandirt, yur not posta eat the football shaped things at th back end? I think ther posta be fed to the dugs and other critters.

I do hunt fairly often and next week I will be deer hunting. I usually end up getting at least one deer but if I don't I still count it as a good time. Any break from work is a good time. I enjoy the hunt as mcuh as I enjoy the kill, it doesn't bother me much. I usually invite a few neighbours over and teach them the proper way to gut a deer.

muddstopper
10-31-2005, 08:02 PM
I have killed several wild hogs and have never used a gun or bow to do it. I do use catch dogs tho.

leeslawncare
11-01-2005, 10:47 PM
nice hogg!!I'am sur you will get some slack.. from these tree huggers @ this site ,but I'am saying thats a nice hog you bagged!!!

BQLC
11-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I finally shot and collected one of the wild boars that escaped from a game farm. It weighted around 400 lbs. Shot with shotgun and slug from just over 150 feet.
that one was a bit larger than this one for sure I decided not to mount this one tusk were only a inch or so long