PDA

View Full Version : Is Power Washing viable to offer as a service?

A&JLawn
10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I was wondering if I should offer powerwashing services in addition to the lawn care I already am going to provide (only because I have access to a pretty nice powerwasher, and I have a little experience doing it for family and friends).

For those knowledgeable in this area, I have a few questions.

1) What are some standard rates you might charge? Do you base it on sq. ft., hourly, or what?

2) Do you ask to use the homeowners hose? If not, do you bring your own hose and ask to use their spiggutty thingy? ;) Or, maybe you have your own tanks and hoses on trucks (which there is no way I could afford to do right now).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JV

topsites
11-01-2005, 08:27 AM
We had a guy local here called himself 'Wash & Whack'...
I'd pick a little bit better name myself, but as a concept it appears to work.

For the other question, NEVER use customer-provided equipment (such as hose).
Far as using their water... I had a guy power-wash my house a week or so ago (yes for real), I don't know if he used my water or not, nor did I care. I think you should be ok in this regard and yes, they did a good job, my house is clean. For standard rates I can not help you much but I have a 1-story 3br and paid 89 dollars here in VA and I hear say that's a good deal but again I don't care - I HATE power-washing my house, I'll pay 120 NOT to have to deal with it.

Az Gardener
11-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I say yes. I like to have A power washer to keep the equipment clean and the customers like to have things washed from time to time. I used to have the cheaper H/O model and I loved it but it kept breaking down when they finally would'nt warranty it any more I just dropped it. I'm into my very profitable months now so I hope to pick up a commercial model soon. I used it in regular service to clean up bird crap and the green tracks in the winter. I just included it in my regular service because I sell budgeted hrs. to my clients. They are paying for time, it dose'nt matter if I'm trimming or mowing or power washing. I had a client that was having a wedding rehearsal dinner at her home in Aug. she asked me to power wash the patio and patio furniture (it really did a good job on the cushions) and it evolved into the walls of the entry and patios once I got going. I just charged her an hourly rate 65.00 I think and that included the rental cost. I agree I would not use a H/O's hose just the water. Up sells like this are great if you are already there, good for both you and the client, also consider firewood supply, propane tank change outs(for BBQ's and heaters) plant and flower pot rentals for party's. We also do little exterior handyman repairs like gate repairs and painting scuffed curbs and walls. You are already there why be in such a rush to leave. We just ask the H/O's to supply the paint and brushes which they are glad to do. I sell timepayup

TURF DOCTOR
11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Slow times pw pays the bills as for pricing that is your game,never use there hose we got ask about pw so we got into it it has paid off.if you need any more help ask.

PMLAWN
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
We had a guy local here called himself 'Wash & Whack'...
I'd pick a little bit better name myself, but as a concept it appears to work.

For the other question, NEVER use customer-provided equipment (such as hose).
Far as using their water... I had a guy power-wash my house a week or so ago (yes for real), I don't know if he used my water or not, nor did I care. I think you should be ok in this regard and yes, they did a good job, my house is clean. For standard rates I can not help you much but I have a 1-story 3br and paid 89 dollars here in VA and I hear say that's a good deal but again I don't care - I HATE power-washing my house, I'll pay 120 NOT to have to deal with it.
A&J here is the answer to your question.
"I have a 1-story 3br and paid 89 dollars here in VA "
At $89 you will die of starvation.
In NC I have a 2 story house and would expect to pay around $400.00 to have it cleaned.
I do not do houses, only decks, docks, or drives. Only things on the ground level and less likely to damage.
Houses are very hard to do when they go 2 storys. Plan on spending a very long day at it. Also can do damage. Water through windows or doors happens but the real danger is shooting up through the vented soffit and getting water in the insulation and staining the ceiling.
The only houses we do are my own.

olderthandirt
11-02-2005, 12:03 AM
he!l I could create a business and get rich and never do anything but sign customer to have a 1 story home PW for $200 and sub it out to the guy that does it for $89 :dizzy:
The guys working for min. wage after he figures in any kind of costs.

daveintoledo
11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
thats pretty cheap, i charge, 50.00 per side first story, 75 per side 2nd story, 500 total for a two story...average size house

olderthandirt
11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
thats pretty cheap, i charge, 50.00 per side first story, 75 per side 2nd story, 500 total for a two story...average size house

Dave,
I don't do PW but how can you have a flat rate per side ? Would'nt the amount of dirt and size make a big differnce in the pricing? A 2k sq. ft house with little dirt would be a whole lot faster than a 6 k sq. ft. house that has a lot of dirt and grime to wash off.

daveintoledo
11-02-2005, 11:53 AM
that is the average starting rate, then i have to look at the variable of that specific job, pretty much as you mentioned, and it goes up depending on the condition, and the difficulty...

olderthandirt
11-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I love starting rates, Thats telling them up front that its gonna cost more than what ever is the "starting" rate is.

GFTC
11-02-2005, 07:30 PM
It's funny that this topic comes up since I fell into the PW deal by accident just last week. I finished washing my dads deck and went to talk to the builder for his subdivision about some tree work. He saw the PW on my trailer and asked if I was in the business. I said, "No, but I could be." Anyway, now everytime they close on a new house or move to a new model home, he has me PW the driveways, garage, and unfinished basements. I charge $25/hr for PW.

A&JLawn
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Lot's of good information here....thank you for your help!!

lpwhandyman
11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Been doing it since 1994. Pressure Washing is our main business, lawn care is second and growing. Do your research before getting into it. No offense, but for the $ 89 per house, I'm still laughing. And the $25 per hour, I'll give you all the pressure washing you want to do at that price. Don't sell yourself too cheap. At $25 per hour, that means that you work until lunch time and take home $100. Now minus the cleaners that you had to buy, fuel to get to the job, fuel to go do the estimate, insurance, truck payment, etc. You're lucky if you're making $ 10 bucks an hour. Do a search on www.google.com type in pressure washing, pressure washing forums, pressure wash price guide, etc.

TURF DOCTOR
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
If you are charging 25 a hour if you work i mean getting the work done you are like worth ballpark 15 to 20 bucks an hour so you are charging 5 bucks for your pw.

PMLAWN
11-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Another thing to remember---You bought your mower to make you money

If you now buy a PW the mower is sitting still--losing money

brit721
11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I was wondering if I should offer powerwashing services in addition to the lawn care I already am going to provide (only because I have access to a pretty nice powerwasher, and I have a little experience doing it for family and friends).

1) What are some standard rates you might charge? Do you base it on sq. ft., hourly, or what?

2) Do you ask to use the homeowners hose? If not, do you bring your own hose and ask to use their spiggutty thingy? ;) Or, maybe you have your own tanks and hoses on trucks (which there is no way I could afford to do right now).

JV
I have just started my own business and this is how I am trying to seperate myself from the competition, instead of a lawn service company I am quoting myself as a property services company, although realizing a majority of my work will be lawn service based. I generally quote at 55 dollars an hour, I set up a trailer where I can supply the H2O, but if I feel my tank will not hold enough water to do the whole job I will take off about 10 dollars to use their water for a portion of the job. One day I did my own house which is 2300 sq. ft and did not notice a difference in my water bill. I think this is an excellent way to pick up extra business especially during the slow seasons. Good luck!

tinman
01-21-2006, 06:06 PM
$80 per hour is what I try to figure on house washing. Driveways about $50 per hour..... not many chemicals or ladders needed for driveways. $25 / hour is way too low & they guy who got his done for $89 got a deal.
Friend of a friend here in town ,,, works at night & does PWashing during day sometimes. He stays busy but does not charge nearly enuf . But it is just xtra money to him. Still he would be better off charging more $$$ & doing less work.

TriCountyLawn
01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Were looking at getting into power washing also as I have serveral friends that are painting contractors. What would the ideal size washer be? I worked for a LCO once that had a Hoyte(i think something like that). It had a 16hp motor and it would heat the water. Very nice machine.

What would you guys sugest for driveways, houses ect.

grasshawg
01-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Ok, here's my .02 cents. I started out interested in LC. As I researched, I among other things, I got turned on to PW. I still come here once in a while to nose around. I NEVER run my machine for less than $50/hr. Don't charge by the hr anyway, but do the math and figure how much your'e making/hr--should not be less than 50.
I charge by the sq ft. As a GENERAL rule, .05 for LG flat surfaces (i.ie., parking lots). I use a sliding scale price sheet for SM flat surfaces (driveways, patios) starting at a min. $80 for 300 sq ft. As the sq ft go up, the rate goes down. Houses, generally again, $1.00/linear ft.. Roofs, minimum .20 cents/sq ft. Big trucks, $30 w/o a sleeper, $40 with sleeper. $40 for trailer. Construction equip, at a MINIMUM, $100/piece of equip. Usually winds up being $150 and up. Finally, as with everything, these are general guidelines. Everything has a PITA factor. (gum on concrete, lots of grease on equip, bad stains/spots on surfaces)
If you're serious about it, email me and I'll get you to the proper websites.
But don't expect to be serious about it and get a squirtgun from Sears or Home Depot. Be prepared to spend some $$$$.
randyd1@valornet.com
Later, and good luck!! Randy

Propowerwash
10-29-2011, 08:43 PM

JV
Lots of Folks making lots of Money