PDA

View Full Version : box scraper or rear blade for tractor?

Ramairfreak98ss
11-01-2005, 11:15 AM
If you were planing off some area to level it and so on, would you use a box scraper or a rear blade? does the box scraper only dig up the ground some and flatten it out VS a rear blade just drags out whats already there?

JB1
11-01-2005, 11:34 AM
a box scraper is what you need.

Green-Pro
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
definitely go with the box blade, takes practice but much better control than blade only.

LawnScenes
11-01-2005, 01:27 PM
ditto on the boxblade. I never use my grader blade anymore.

start2finish
11-02-2005, 07:31 AM
box blade for fine grading, I may use a scraper blade to cut a long ditch or for snow removal. Box blade is best for leveling because you can take some soil with you to fill in low spots and such. But you cannot just drop it and ride circles. You have to learn the "knack" for useing it.

olderthandirt
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Depends on the size tractor and whether your blade has down pressure, if it has down pressure I like them a lot more, if it dont then all they do is float over any hard ground and are pretty much useless except for snow

start2finish
11-02-2005, 07:48 PM
olderthandirt I disagree with your statement. If the box blade will not go in the ground the use the scarifier teeth and you can also uitilize the top link to apply the correct angle. If you are trying to grade 1 foot off a solid undisturbed dirt, then you need a pan or a loader with teeth, but in the proper situation, a box blade is priceless. Bear in mind the question on this thread is comparing the tool to a scape blade. Not a 75hp skid loader.

olderthandirt
11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
olderthandirt I disagree with your statement. If the box blade will not go in the ground the use the scarifier teeth and you can also uitilize the top link to apply the correct angle. If you are trying to grade 1 foot off a solid undisturbed dirt, then you need a pan or a loader with teeth, but in the proper situation, a box blade is priceless. Bear in mind the question on this thread is comparing the tool to a scape blade. Not a 75hp skid loader.
I understand the question and I have and use both. If i apply down pressure I get a steady planing affect that does not change the as the blade gets full. Scarafier teeth are great to rip soil apart but they leave marks and adjusting the top link only changes the angle of the teeth/blade so it may help when the blades starts to bite, but if your just planing hard pan you end up driving a short distance before the blade starts to bite. With a a back blade with down pressure on a 35-40 HP compact tractor I can back into a corner where the drive meets the walk apply down pressure and start planing the instant I start to move + I don't have to be so fast to adjust the 3point to compensate for dips in the ground to get the area level. I don't use my skid to plane as I have a harder time getting that near perfect level area using a 75 hp skid compared to a compact trac. Wheel base is to short on a skid.

Envy Lawn Service
11-06-2005, 04:35 PM
The box blade is the best invention since the 4x4 tractor.

When you become skilled in the use and adjustment of a box blade you'll think so too.