PDA

View Full Version : Organic Methods for Beginners

Mr. Green Genes
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Well the trend has started here in the Capital of the reddest of red states. I have had several clients ask about organic treatments for their lawns. I began to ask my well established clients if they would consider an organic method to start next season with not only a favorable response ... but an excited one as well.

This leaves me in a situation in which I have to educate myself very quickly, acquire quality product, and market the organic option for next Spring.

Any feedback, information, links, and encouragement would be helpful. Especially the encouragement.

nocutting
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi, its a great thing you are doing with your Bizness, and you're in an area that has many of the products needed at a verrry resonable cost.....look at past threads in the Organic Forum, there is a wealth of info right here, as you advance contact me for a variety of compost teas that will supplement your program and help to reduce your costs and improve your profit margin......Again, Good Luck with your endeavers:alien: :waving:

TScapes
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a question that goes along with this subject. When looking at offering this alternative type of program, what are the operational cost differences? Is it cheaper to use organic products, as I remember having several companies tell me in the past that you ultimately use less product and make less visits over a 12 month period, so your costs decline. Is this true? Instead of a 5-6 application program, do you offer less, but just charge the same?

I have all commercial properties, mostly malls and large retail centers so the idea of going organic appeals to me, but dealing with several acres at a time.... ultimately cost is my driving force.

Can someone give me some cost comparisons? I know products vary from location to location, but am simply looking for examples of savings (if any) from those who have made this change.

green_mark
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Cost is quite variable based on what you are setting out as the plan.

I service a large amount of commercial properties and use the John Deere gator with a 200 gallon tank. I carry a 2,000 gallon tank in my straight truck and can spray about 40 - 50 acres in a normal day.

I do use organic products for both selective organic weed control and all edible fertilizers. www.farmcropextracts.com These are more expensive than chemicals but not so much that the customer balks. Its about 50.00/acre more than traditional products.

Still I charge about 150.00/acre and do extremely well.