PDA

View Full Version : Sod Cutter

scweedman
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Does anyone highly recommend a type or brand of sod cutter?

turfcobob
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Look at the Turfco, KisCutter. Turfco.com....The cutter is compact yet really cuts and is easy to use. I was using it this week with a special 9 inch blade they make for concrete curbing and it is really cool I have had one for several years and love it. When I remove for beds and such I just cut two directions cutting the sod into one foot squares and pick them up with a shovel and wheel barrow. Faster and much easier on my ole back than rolling and picking up. One time I even used it to cut a wedge out of a side hill to start a wall of pavers. I just held in on two wheels and cut my way around the hill and took out a perfect wedge of sod from the hill. I give it my fullest support and if you have any questions just ask. Turfcobob@aol.com

nocutting
11-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi, I went from a Bluebird 4 wheel drive unit to a Brouwer that I got on E-bay for $300 bucks- its a 5hp, so lite 1 man can load it and with its 12 inch blade I can open up flower beds faster than lightning.....I'd stay away from older Ryans as when the gear-box goes its a problem tryin to get parts.........:waving: payup

Toy2
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Don't rent a Ryan, they suck...its all the rentals had around here....and it was junk!!!

steve in Pa.
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
billy goats sod cutter is really nice. don't let the size fool you.

PSUturf
11-05-2005, 08:54 PM
I prefer Ryan. I think it is the best for uneven terrain, pretty durable, easy to operate. Classens sod cutter would be a close second. Bluebird is the worst I've used. The blade is behind the rear wheels. if there are undulations in the ground it leaves skips. Turfco KisCutter is OK but like most Turfco equipment it's not built heavy enough to take the abuse that other manufacturer's equipment can. You get what you pay for.

turfcobob
11-07-2005, 09:40 AM
PSUturf...Do you own a Turfco KisCutter? I do and I say you are wrong. Mine keeps running when other guys ryans are sitting still waiting for parts. There are several of us around here that have them and we are all very pleased with the durability and performance. Also they come with a two year warranty. It has been my experience that mfgs do not give extended warranties unless the equipment does hold up.

ProMo
11-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I used the turfco at the gie and thought it did a great job. Much easier to manuever than the ryans I have used

PSUturf
11-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Turfcobob - I don't own a KisCutter. I was thinking more along the lines of the machine banging around in the back of a truck or being transported around a job site in a skid loader bucket. I have not used the KisCutter but it looks very operator friendly. I have used the previous Turfco sod cutter and I recall bending the 'guard tubing' quite easily.

turfcobob
11-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Another thing...the handle folds upside down over the engine for transporting in a trailer or truck..I tipped it over once and did not know it till I got to the job and it was lying on the handle....engine untouched...Thing works like a charm and costs a little over $2000 last I saw.

I have 7 pcs of Turfco and love the stuff. Hardly every have to pick up a wrench...