PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-seeder or PTO 48" Seeder...which is better?

dmc456
11-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Which is the better buy assuming purchase price is the same: a 48" Powerseeder or a hydro seeder?

Which would be more cost effective to operate and which would have better performance. Again, ingnoring the purchase price of either machine, which would be easier to operate, have the best performance, and why.

I'm thinking the 48" power seeder hands down, because it will actually work the soil, level the high and low spots (small ruts etc...) and place a metered amount of seed in the ground. Very little prep work, just put seed in hopper and go.

Below is the link to the seeder I'm looking at:

http://www.jacobsengolf.com/products/ryan_seeders/548_aerator-seeder/

Runner
11-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, you'll get alot more use out of the powerseeder. This can also be used in overseeding and incorporating different cultivars in for changing conditions. By the way, that looks like a nice unit. What does something like that go for?

DUSTYCEDAR
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
i had a land pride seeder like that it was a 6ft unit worked well but in my rocky soil it was high maint
i looked at hydro seeders and they r nice but for what i do not real usefull and u have to haul all kinds of water no fun;)
u will have to charge a lot of money to use the seeder in order to keep it running blades and berings cost lots of money
i looked at the aeravator and it seems like the ticket a local school has 1 and do the sprots fields with it and they come out great
first products make the aeravator

muddstopper
11-02-2005, 05:48 PM
There is no way i could make a living with a tractor pulled powerseeder. You just cant drive them on the areas I seed, Heck, its hard enough sometimes with a hose. On wide open spaces, the powerseeder would be the way to go but if you have to get in steep unaccessible areas, the hydroseeder is the best tool available. I personally like the areovator type seeders better than the areator type.

impactlandscaping
11-15-2005, 10:09 PM
The Aeravator by First Products is a great machine. We used one on the front of a Ventrac 4200VXD, and it performed awesomely. Of course, the choice for us is hydroseeding. WV aint exactly flat..lol. Moreover than anything, it's the person running the equipment than the brand, type, etc..