PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)

Daren
03-25-2001, 08:09 AM
Anyone use PDA's? Im looking to buy one, help keep me organized. Im really bad about scribbling numbers, names, etc. down on pieces of paper and misplacing them. Want one that will keep my appointments and keep up with all of my customers. Have looked at some of the Palm Pilots. But do not know which one would be the best. Dont want to spend a large amount on one! Any reccommendations?

Daren

jmartmel
03-25-2001, 09:07 AM
Heard the new visor (edge) from handspring is great! I'm looking at getting one myself the metallic color looks nice. $399 U.S with free shipping. http://www.handspring.com

Acute Cut
03-25-2001, 09:09 AM
I am looking into the Palm IIIc. It has a color screen and a lithium battery. And the things it can do....COOL!

I know this doesnt help, sorry.

smburgess
03-25-2001, 09:50 AM
I bought one off eBay for $130.00, works great (winCE, 8meg with a 16meg card), has my contacts, spec lists for equipment ( motors, carbs, etc.), along with a spreadsheet for one-the-spot quotes. I couldn't see buying an expensive one to get beat up, also the guys here say that it's hard to see the color screen in the sun...

lawrence stone
03-25-2001, 09:54 AM
Back in my day (b/4 calculators) we used slide rules.

When we droped the slide rule on a concrete floor we just put the slide rule back into our geek like pocket protector.

capital
03-25-2001, 10:03 AM
I use a visor and so does are operations manager. We enter are notes through out the day and then download them into the computer at the end of the day. This allows us to check one anothers appointments. Now when we have a client on the phone we don't have to call them back regarding when we can meet with them. We both know the other ones schedule and update it. Its also nice in that I was able to throw away all those business cards from vendors as we put them in or download them from our computer. Also, we are finding it nice that alot of new clients/prospects see these and ask us to "beam" our business card to them and vice versa. "they are now in are data base."

ant
03-25-2001, 10:34 AM
how do those electronic organizers help you?
i use a small pocket style book and its easy.i like the looks but i am not a electronic type of guy....
how do they help you?
anthony

nlminc
03-25-2001, 12:32 PM
I recently bought the Compaq ipaq pocket pc. I love it! Used to keep evrything stored im my head or in a notebook, but this has really helped me get organized to the max. It comes with versions of MS word and excel, media player and some other nice features.

Paradise Yard Service
03-25-2001, 04:20 PM
Comp USA has a 2 year 'breakage plan'. Break it and they replace, no questions asked. B-4 contract is up you drop it from the top of the stairwell or out the window of the Silverado (doing the speed limit of course), pick up pieces, and take er back to get new PDA.

Love my new Palm IIIxe. They have new ones w. 16 meg cards, come with Docs-to-Go, so Excel spread sheets not a prob. Download Excel invioce template from MSN templates. Input data in field, and sync to home computer. Easy way to do invoicing. I go with Palm as they dominate with there OS software so far. Most other PDAs use there Palm OS system.

For alternates its hard to choose one thats inexpensive but I would consider Visor.

The Sony, or HP Jornada cool too but costs same as Palm.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, Kevin

Fred B
08-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Blackberry 8830

B & B Yardscape
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I've had a palm for years. Have had three of them. Currently running the Palm Treo phone. All the features of a palm, phone, MP3 player, Camera, voice recorder, calculator, stop watch, etc. Runs word and excell if you want to have an estimator on hand.

Ant: Most of us loose those pieces of paper or business cards. As an example of how I use it. I get a business card from some one, I get back to the truck and enter the info right into the palm and through away the card. If I need to call them, I just enter 2 letters and I have found them and hit dial. No transfer of the number from paper to phone.

I get to a job site and before I start work I take a bunch of pre-work photos. Use them for before and after shots on the web page or proof of what it looked like before. I have to be careful though. I can ONLY hold 14,918 more pictures on the 2 gig card.

I think of an idea during the day, I enter it as an appointment for later in the day. When I sync with the computer, it comes up again and I deal with it when I have time.

I plan every aspect of the job on the palm calendar. I move stuff around until it all fits and I have everything in there. I know that it takes 30 min. to go to HD and get something and the bulk material place takes 45 minutes. I put those two things in there around lunch time and I know to go do them in order and at the right time.

Wife has one and she puts her appointments in there that I need to know about.

I thought I would miss the Nextel 2-way, but now I just text whoever I want and they get it when the look next. Even the 2-way won't go over the noise of the mowers. So when they are done, they look at the phone, read what I want, and either text me back, call me, or just do the work.

Could not work without one.

Doug1966
09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
This thread is 7 years old.

B & B Yardscape
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Blame Fred B. It was new when I posted to it.

I would assume he got something by now.