PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 11/2/05 - Mowing Designs

Sean Adams
11-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Not really a tip...more of a question....

When we did a lot of high end residential mowing, we were often asked about making their yard look like "Wrigley Field"...stripes - no problem. But several times we had clients request actual designs in their yard - a common one here in Pittsburgh was the Steelers logo. First time I heard the request I thought it was a joke....but amazing how many sports fans want to show all their buddies something "cool' on a Sunday afternoon at halftime. Anyone else get requests like this? Is it something maybe that should be offered? Might sound silly or like a waste of time, but the requests are there....

dvmcmrhp52
11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
It's actually something I've considered, but where to start?
It's a whole other ballgame in pricing and then the design and............
But ya, it's something maybe to offer...............Maybe just a number of designs for certain holidays, birthdays, etc.

We've had some fun a few years back leaving messages in a certain friends back lawn, but............:waving:

gardenkeeper88
11-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I too have thought about it but same thing, Just where do I start. Also do you cut the design shorter, longer or what? Also employees aren't going to care about getting it "right" just done so they can get home.

jblawns123
11-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Well for starters, most of the designs are done with a roller, not when mowed

PurpHaze
11-04-2005, 11:41 PM
We've had some fun a few years back leaving messages in a certain friends back lawn, but............:waving:

We don't mess around out here. We use gasoline. :p

One COULD use a contact herbicide and then the design would kinda fade in over time. :cool2:

GarPA
11-05-2005, 03:10 AM
most of our residential properties have so many beds that its a challenge to do different stiripe patterns each week without having to make way too many turns. If you do do what they ask, you should be paid extra for that mowing as it will certainly take longer.

My other problem with this woujld be that now they know you will do this and so they are "trained" to expect it....no thanks

dvmcmrhp52
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
most of our residential properties have so many beds that its a challenge to do different stiripe patterns each week without having to make way too many turns. If you do do what they ask, you should be paid extra for that mowing as it will certainly take longer.

My other problem with this woujld be that now they know you will do this and so they are "trained" to expect it....no thanks

I believe we're talking about "special" designs for "special" occasions, which would be an extra billable..................

olderthandirt
11-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I done the same thing with special occasions B-Days were always the big one
large stencel and some paint or chalk dust. Throw the stencil down and the dust and presto!!!! happy customers and $100 or more.

The $$$$ were secondary the customer relations were the #1 goal
and it works great for getting the neighbors talking about your company

DBL
11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
if anyones has any step by step cutting designs or diagrams i need more than the regualr basic stripes thanks

Guthrie&Co
11-17-2005, 01:04 AM
most definatly. i would love to learn how to do this.

beautifullawns
11-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I remember one post on here i think of a guy that made a star in his yard. I think it was in the photo section. I believe he did it for the fourth of july. I also saw one for 9/11. A guy in my area scalped GO SOX in his lawn last year for the playoffs, that looked cool too.

nmez21
11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Of course you need a mower that stripes fairly well or something that will flatten some grass-leaf rakes work well also-. Make sure you cut the bases and the longest stipes or lines first. I like to make a rough looking design then spruce it up with a rake.

chopsticks33
11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
this reminds me of a thread i saw a couple weeks ago...
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=77091