PDA

View Full Version : How late can you plant grass?

CutRight
11-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm out of Connecticut and I'm starting to get jobs mostly from land developers, installing lawns for the house lots. Its Nov. 3 today and we've been getting frost at night. Is it too late already to plant seed, or how late into the year can I go. I was told that if enough straw is put down it would create a "skin" and whatever doesnt grow this year will grow in the spring. Just seeing if anyone actually knows.

landcare pa
11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
generally oct 18 is the cut off date,as far as strawing heavy it may help the best bet would be if the ground freezes and stays frozen for 4 months . if it gets warm for a spell over the winter the seed may just rot up. if you must do it now explain to your customer that you cant guarantee that it will grow. so when it looks like crap your not held responsible.

CutRight
11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
yea thats pretty much what I figured. I already told the guy that tonight when i went to look at the job, but some developers just want you to perform acts of god.

landcare pa
11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
we still are seeding here in pa. also last year we sodded right up to jan 15 . for some reason we now live in a world of everything needs to be done now even if it is not the norm. i look at it like this if they want it done that bad will do it . my new motto is ( IF YOU HAVE THE DIME WE HAVE THE TIME) if they are willing to pay us to do things when we don't recommend it thats on them why argue. just cover yourself that you don't think it will germinate and that if it doesn't grow they will pay you come spring to replant it.

lawnkid
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I still have 3 lawns that need to be hydroseeded this week and I know it's not gonna grow in fully now but it'll pop at least and then in the spring come up full. We'll be seeding throughout winter....I have never actually strawed a lawn in my life, only used peat, mulch, and hydroseeding methods so I wouldn't know the results. I can only see other people's results. If you're gonna be dong alot of work for developers, I would look into a hydroseeder or a straw blower.

RedWingsDet
11-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I dont know about seed, but you can lay sod ontop of n inch or two of snow if you need to, however I dont reccommend that.

Popper357
11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
It's too late to seed, except for dormant seeding. Might as well wait till spring. Sodding however, is OK as long as you keep it very wet for the first month (inch every day), then a couple inches a week until established. Even in mid winter, roots will grow but they must be kept very wet, especially the first month.

start2finish
11-04-2005, 08:54 AM
cutright, in the market you are working in such as land development and new home(lots) you will have to seed 365 days a year. in your area there may be cool season grasses (seasonal) to plant. Alot of the seeding we do over the undesireable months doesn't take , but the act of seeding it is required by many local codes as well as finance companies (banks). I always make sure to inform the customer of the probable results. But it still has to be done.

LawnscapeMN
11-24-2005, 02:03 AM
When is it too late to sod. I am in MN and have a man who doesnt understand a word I say barely. I really want the job, its just a smaller backyard of a new home, and he has the $$. If its too late though I will just write up a contract for next season. Thanks for the help.

AGLA
11-24-2005, 08:47 AM
If you can do the finish grade (rake it) and you can get the sod, you can install it.

SodKing
11-24-2005, 09:33 AM
I am hydroseeding one This upcoming Tuesday and soding one next Friday...if this snow melts off.