PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question

Southern Lawns
03-25-2001, 04:09 PM
I think I know the answer BUT! thought it best to ask. I have a Chevy 2500 with A/T, when I tow my landscape 14' trailer I put it in D versus OD, I live on total flatland and drive in the suburbs for the most part. Should I use OD instead? Thanks
Raymond

plowjockey
03-25-2001, 10:09 PM
I know that they say you should tow in D but I had a ton of boat behind my C-1500 for quite a while and it towed fine in OD. I would definately check either with a dealer or your owners manual to get the correct info.

Bruce

Garet
03-26-2001, 02:30 AM
I would think your best bet would to tow in D. OD is mainly for freeway cruising. D might take some stress off your tranny.

SummitFarmer
03-26-2001, 11:06 AM
I would let your truck tell you what it wants to do. If it is "searching" for a gear all the time run it in D. If you are running pretty flat, use OD and maybe save a few $ on gas. Does you truck have the L80E tranny. I assume it does. I think they are a little tougher than the L60E in my 1500. I had to rebuild mine at about 100K and now with 203K it feels like it could use it again.

Southern Lawns
03-26-2001, 12:07 PM
The truck has 198,000 miles on it. The tranny has been replaced somewere around the 150,000 range. Don't really know what is in it now. I bought the truck in a closed bid auction from a family member out of state. Paid close to nothing for it but would hate to put undo stress on it regardless. I will pay closer attention to the searching but if I remember it runs OK in OD and doesn't appear to be changing much. I guess in the wide open area OD may be OK and around town I will go with D. Thanks for all your input.
Raymond

Albemarle Lawn
03-31-2001, 03:24 PM
If you go to a 4:11 gear you will be able to tow in OD easily, plus accelerate better. My 89 had a 3:08 gear and it really hunted in and out of OD.
Also, B&M makes a shift valve kit available through summit racing equipt that elimates hunting.