PDA

View Full Version : what comes first, soldier course or body of pavers

waltero
11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
I have a walkway that I am doing right now. I will be done with the base soon and before I start laying pavers I was wondering if anyone could help me out as to the best way to proceed.

The walkway is a 45 degree Herringbone (Unilock Rustic Red 4"x8") with a soldier course of grey. It will be aproximately 45 ft straight run with an additional 12-15ft 90 degree curve at the end. there is going to be alot of cutting and I am still new at this so I am looking for the best way to cut. I have a new stihl TS700 with a new diamond blade. I bought a few tools from pavetech to help me out on this job. I will list them below

http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/4x45marker.shtm
http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/WedgieMark.shtm
http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/p_scribe.shtm
http://www.pavetech.com/newtools/quckdraw.shtm

#1 Now I wasn't sure if a wet gas powered table saw would be a good way to go. I work by myself so I will be doing all of the cutting and I was thinking that I would have better control on a table saw vs the stihl. Now remember that I am still green and many people might be better with a demo saw but I am not so confident that I can cut all the small pieces as well as on the table saw. I also figure that alot of the pieces sould be repetative because of the herringbone pattern, that is the cuts on each side sould be roughly the same.

#2 Should I lay the border and then fill in the center or lay the center, cut and then lay in the border. I was planning on laying the border on one side, start the herringbone on the one side and work my way to the other side, cut the pieces and then add the border on the opposite side. I would start on one side and run the chevrons (2-3 bricks wide) the full lenght of the walkway to ensure that I have a straight run and then I will build the next row going the lenght of the walkway so as not to deviate too much. The side that I was starting the herringbone pattern is going to be the longest run of bricks.

If this sounds all wrong let me know how you would proceed with this job. I am after a quality finished project so any help would be appriciated. I know there may be more than one way to skin a cat but I am after the best method that a person with more experience might use.

Thanks for your time and help.

cgland
11-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I would overlay the field, mark your lines and cut the field in place with your cut-off saw. You may have to double cut some of the real small pieces if any, but it is definately the smoothest and easiest way to do it.

Chris

neversatisfiedj
11-04-2005, 08:19 AM
I lay y soldier course first then mark my cuts personally.

YardPro
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
i also overlay and use a cutoff saw.. by far the fastest way.. also the way that was recommended in the icpi course

waltero
11-22-2005, 11:10 PM
thanks for all the help. I ended up laying the body of the pavers and then making the cuts, and then adding the soldier course and it did go faster then I expected and I was please with the results. This was the first time that I got to do this so I was nervous but all went well. I will try to post a picture soon. thanks again.

Walter

DVS Hardscaper
11-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Usually with patios, driveways, and pool decks, we doo the S-Course last.

But with walks and pathways, it varys. Gotta know what best to achieve maximum production. With us, sometimes the s-course is done first, sometimes it's not. There are reasons that dictate why. Again, it boils down to production, in boils down to keeping a crew of 3 consistantly busy. And yes! It confuses my non-english speaking employees when I have them do it in reverse!

neversatisfiedj
11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm going to try to overlay , the cut field in place. Never really thought of doing it that way.

YardPro
12-03-2005, 04:32 PM
i will add that with walkways, depending on the pattern of laving, i may lay one s course first then the field and then the next s course. i do this when using 3 piece modular, etc. where the exact width is not critical, and i can not have to make any cuts on the sides.. i just go x courses wide. and then soilder the outsides.