PDA

View Full Version : grass growing through weed fabric.

jonspolaris
11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Our neighbor has landscaping in the front of his house. The contractor put down weed fabric then stones over that. The stones are jr.pebbles a medium sized stone. He has had grass growing in this area for a while. I checked it and the grass is actually growing through the weed fabric. When you pick the grass you get the whole root mass too. but eventually it comes back, and he has grass growing there agian.

Any ideal how to stop this? and why isnt the weed fabric stopping the grass.

also, we have several other neighbors that have the same setup and have no grass growth.

Dirty Water
11-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Weed fabric is a joke...This is coming from a guy who has to hack and slash his way through it to install irrigation.

The only good way to control weeds is a nice thick mulch and pesticides.

slicksilverado01
11-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Weed fabric is a joke...This is coming from a guy who has to hack and slash his way through it to install irrigation.

The only good way to control weeds is a nice thick mulch and pesticides.

actually the weed fabric works pretty good for people that dont have tons of time to pull weeds out of beds. it doesnt keep all the weeds out but hey it another way to make even more money payup payup I charge about $0.50 a square foot the rolls come in 100 square feet so I get about 50 a roll and the rolls with lanscapers discount is $6 a roll so it good money to make. I also keep it about 3" away from the edge so no edger or weed wacker catches onto it.

sheshovel
11-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't know what landscape fab your useing but it has to be very thin or homeowner stuff for you to be paying that little for it.I pay $75.00 for a 4'x300' roll
it's grey and a very thick weaved fabric that you can't tear.Landscape fab can be a joke in certain applications,but it's worth it's weight in gold if used
in the right places and put down properly,with plenty of mulch on top.

jonspolaris
11-04-2005, 10:17 PM
He has stones because he is older and needs something that is low maintance. If he had mulch, it would be a disaster after a couple months.

So what I am gathering is landscape fabric will stop 90% of the grass and weeds, but you will always have some to deal with. I assume that no fabric stops 100%.

sheshovel
11-04-2005, 10:37 PM
You assume correctly

topsites
11-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Any ideal how to stop this? and why isnt the weed fabric stopping the grass.

also, we have several other neighbors that have the same setup and have no grass growth.

Yes... When seeding, whoever is doing it needs to be more careful not to spray seed in those areas.

Far as why it's not stopping it? I think weed fabric is the biggest POS waste of time and money pita crap ever invented that is good for absolutely nothing other than show-and-tell, it's a lot of work to put down and then always gets in the way everytime I want to work in one of those areas, but that's just me.

Weeds grow through thick layers of mulch, plastic (certainly fabric) and concrete, thou in your case the problem is grass, so unless it's crabgrass, again the problem likely has to do with over-seeding (literally lol).

slicksilverado01
11-05-2005, 01:02 AM
actually the weed fabric works pretty good for people that dont have tons of time to pull weeds out of beds. it doesnt keep all the weeds out but hey it another way to make even more money payup payup I charge about $0.50 a square foot the rolls come in 100 square feet so I get about 50 a roll and the rolls with lanscapers discount is $6 a roll so it good money to make. I also keep it about 3" away from the edge so no edger or weed wacker catches onto it.

opps they come in 100 foot rolls 3 ft and 4ft wide so that is 300-400 square foot rolls so it is 18 dollars for the 3ft wide and 24 dollars for the 4ft.

slicksilverado01
11-05-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know what landscape fab your useing but it has to be very thin or homeowner stuff for you to be paying that little for it.I pay $75.00 for a 4'x300' roll
it's grey and a very thick weaved fabric that you can't tear.Landscape fab can be a joke in certain applications,but it's worth it's weight in gold if used
in the right places and put down properly,with plenty of mulch on top.

actually you are paying $0.0625 per square foot and I am paying $0.06 a square foot. so ok. the stuff I use is a brown twine looking fabric really strong cant rip only can cut it.