PDA

View Full Version : walk with stairs

skidmaster
11-05-2005, 07:22 PM
When installing a brick walk with steps (2), is it a smart idea to install steps first. I heard this today and I am beginning a walk this week. Info please. Thanks! P.S. It is a sloped walk and the existing walk has the first step six feet from the curb next step is about 3.5 feet from first, about one stride.

DVS Hardscaper
11-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Different variables will dictate different sequence of events.

Typically one would start at the lowest point and work up.

So if the walk is the lowest point, start there and work till you're where the first set of steps is needed. then install the steps. then if more walk is to follow, lay more walk, repeat till complete!

neversatisfiedj
11-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Steps first , so you don't end up with a "trip step"

UNISCAPER
11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Always start at the lowest spot and work up. That way you can easily determine the unit run (distance the stairs have to go away from a landing, or house) and unit rise (elevation of each step.)

If you are making them from SRW materials and you are using the block units as increments, you are pretty well stuck with what you have, and you eed to adjust accordingly so you don't get a toe stubber as others mention. If you are able to build sides and float the stair elevations, that's really the best way. You just calculate the run/rise and set each section of wall/step as need be.

DVS Hardscaper
11-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Thats right. As Bill said, do your calculations and all should be fine.

I have hispanics. And they are not good with math. So I calculate and tripple check my numbers tripple times! All is well.

skidmaster
11-08-2005, 09:27 PM
I thank all of you for your replies and taking the time. I have done a few walks in stone before, cobblestones etc. This is my first walk with pavers and stairs. I am 39 and after twenty years of running behind a mower I am leaning more towards construction and hardscaping. For some reason it is more appealing to me now and I look forward to the challenges I may encounter. I have consulted with a local who is going to help me through this, start to finish. It is going to cost me but as I see it better it cost now then later and save me the embarrasment and frustration of focking it up. It is one of my lawn customers houses and I have forty seven other accounts in the same neighborhood. No room for fock ups. DVS...... I have hispanics also and I am not sure of their mathamatical abilities. Actually, we don't even talk, they catch on very quickly but communication is difficult.I refuse to learn another language to run my own business. Adios amigo!