PDA

View Full Version : lawn damage from tractor tires

tractrpowr45
11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi, I'm new to lawnsite and I enjoy reading the informative discussions.
I am going to be starting up my own landscaping business next spring
and I have a question. I already have a 4wd compact diesel tractor with a
loader and rototiller which I want to use for landscaping jobs such as
moving mulch and topsoil and digging the base for paver patios. The
only problem is, it has ag tires which have great traction but I'm thinking
they might tear up customers lawns. What kind of equipment do you
other landscapers use and what do you do about turf damage? Thanks
for your advice.

hoskm01
11-05-2005, 08:41 PM
If you're doing a major project you could just say screw it, use the AG tires, tear up the turf in as small an area as possible, and repair it when you're done. Or, get some turf tires, at least in the rear, if you dont really need the traction. It all depends on what conditions youre going to use them in. Get yourself into a muddy mess with the turf tires, you could be pulling it out with the truck, but Ive found them to be pretty reliable and useful.

JRAZ
11-05-2005, 10:05 PM
We just try to keep the damage minimal and soil/reseed as necessary. There are sheets you can lay down over the areas if you are are so inclined.

slicksilverado01
11-05-2005, 10:16 PM
if the tractor can go into 2wd it should do ok. a local LCO has a kubota bx23 for moving mulch and small landscape and the ag tires on it do not tear up the ground at all unless it is in 4wd or the rear diff is locked.

bigandy
11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
We use a Power-Trac 422 and because it is articulated and hydrostatic, it wont put a single scuff on a yard unless you spin, ever. I would recommend a higher hp model because it is a little underpowered but with all the attachments and the versatility, it is great.

slicksilverado01
11-05-2005, 10:28 PM
We use a Power-Trac 422 and because it is articulated and hydrostatic, it wont put a single scuff on a yard unless you spin, ever. I would recommend a higher hp model because it is a little underpowered but with all the attachments and the versatility, it is great.

uhh....he already has a tractor.....dont you read?:alien:

olderthandirt
11-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Buy a set of industrial tires, there 1/2 way between the ags & turf and will only tear the turf if your in 4x4 or if its really muddy. Or buy the turfs hard to get stuck with a loader to push you out but you will need ballast on the back.
The good point of turfs is if you need more traction you can use tire chains, BUT with a 4x4 I doubt that you will ever be in that situation, specialy just starting out.

hoskm01
11-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Just found these. Dont have any, just a thought..

http://www.trakmats.com

http://www.mudtraks.com/images/Backhoe.jpg

lawnspecialties
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
olderthandirt is right on. R4 industrial tires are great. I've had more damage from turf tires spinning than my R4's.

o-so-n-so
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
I use R4s and have had no real problems. In most cases if you are using 4WD for traction on a lawn...the lawn is in bad shape anyway. On occasions I will spin in place trying to pull up a large shrub...then again we are usually redoing or installing a scape and the spin tracks are easily repaired.

I chose the utility compact tractor over a skid steer because I use my tractor on existing lawns in most cases. In few cases I have brought in topsoil to repair a rut. Tip......You can use a hand help tamper to tamp out ruts on soft soil...Works great.

To just move material around....no problem....:D

topsites
11-09-2005, 02:21 AM
I use R4s and have had no real problems. In most cases if you are using 4WD for traction on a lawn...the lawn is in bad shape anyway. On occasions I will spin in place trying to pull up a large shrub...then again we are usually redoing or installing a scape and the spin tracks are easily repaired.

I chose the utility compact tractor over a skid steer because I use my tractor on existing lawns in most cases. In few cases I have brought in topsoil to repair a rut. Tip......You can use a hand help tamper to tamp out ruts on soft soil...Works great.

To just move material around....no problem....:D

Not to mention a tractor can be as little as 25% the cost of a skid steer :)

olderthandirt
11-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Not to mention a tractor can be as little as 25% the cost of a skid steer :)

I don't know where you come up with your info :dizzy: :dizzy: take and rate a compact tractor by HP to a skid and the price is almost the same use lifting capacity on a fels as your bench mark and the tractor will cost more because of the size you will need. I've have both now and in the past so get your facts staight :angry: