PDA

View Full Version : please help make a leaf box - do i need to have vents in the roof?

clydesdale
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a 7x12 dump trailer with a small truck loader. I have wood slat sides that have MINIMAL space between them, just from wood shrinking. The roof is currently open. Today we tarped the top, but leaves still manage to come out from under the sides of the tarp. So we are thinking about going to a plywood top with 2x2 to frame out the sides. What size plywood? will 3/8 or 1/4 be enough? The big question is, will we need to make vents in the roof to allow air to escape? Thanks

Cigarcop
11-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, you need some sort of vent.

Also what kind of tarp did you use for the top, if it was solid and not a mesh type tarp that was your problem, I would get a mesh tarp and use bungee's to hold it down tight, you'll get some dust flying but nothing should escape.

clydesdale
11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
what size do the vents need to be? I have four 56 square inch vents from home depot.

lawnmaniac883
11-06-2005, 12:51 AM
If it were me, I would buy some of that 1/2'' X 1/2'' square galvanized steel mesh from the depot. Cut a piece maybe 1X2 and frame it in with 2X4's.

LB Landscaping
11-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Stick with the mesh tarp, take a couple rachet straps and secure it so the leaves don't blow out. You'l get some blow out no matter what kind of ventilation you use.