PDA

View Full Version : Start small and use Dad's tools

The Cowboy
11-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Howdy folks!
I bought my first shovel when I was 7. I started using it helping dad build a vegetable garden on our 3 acres. It was my job to manage it because dad was at work all the time and relied on me. I was a rubber crutch at times, but by the time I was 9 I was mowing our lawn every week, and managing a 2500 sq. ft. garden. I was 10 when I used a friend's Case skid steer to bust out a concrete slab behind our house. Dad bought a 3' landscape rake and let me use it whenever he decided to add a berm or level a large patch of soil. The neighbors used to love to watch this skinny little kid kicking *** and liked to poke fun, but as I got older they started asking me to help them with small things around the yard, like trimming a bush or replacing rotted fenceposts. When I was 12 Dad decided that farming might be fun so he bought a whole fleet of antique equipment and started renting land for $50 an acre. I learned to plow and disc and everything else and still love it to this day. At 18 Dad bought a huge New Holland Super-boom loader to build a new driveway for our house. Guess who got to use it the most? About 330 tons of stone later and 4 semis of topsoil, the neighbors decided I should be in business for real, so I went out and bought a $7500 Ford F-150 and $6500 Exmark Lazer Z and paid for both in the first 6 months. I never have advertised and get all work from word of mouth. Dads brand new trailer for hauling tractors came in real handy.
My younger brother and I and a couple guys have kept ourselve busy 6 days a week since then and have become very popular around here.
I have a trade mark that may be one of the secrets to my success. I wear a white cowboy hat and pressed wranglers at all times along with any type of western boot. Even when I am covered with dirt I try to maintain a clean, sharp appearance. My straightforward dealings with potential customers close the deal over 95% of the time. Not only have I established a steady customer base of about 50 people, I get loads of side jobs from all the word of mouth advertising they do.
Going to a local college has been very difficult with my schedule, so I took mostly night classes which helped. To date I have squeezed an A out of every class and was nominated for the National Deans list this year. Thanks dad for starting me early and letting me use your tools!

nephilim0167
11-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you're doing well for yourself!!

Cheers, to you :)

mcwlandscaping
11-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Thats awsome, congratulations, you got a really early start, that sure helps. Age 10 using a skid steer, thats really cool. Congrats!!

zim bob the landscaper
11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
wow thats kool i dropve my first skid steer when i was eleven putting a foundation (spelling) for a huge shed and last year used a skid steer for 4 hours doing snow removal they r wicked fun cant wait to buy my own

and good luck :)

chopsticks33
11-29-2005, 10:08 PM
awesome...i dug out some crap for my grandpa when i was like ten with a skid...gotta agree w/ you zimbob...theyre wicked fun :)

YardPro
12-17-2005, 08:44 AM
congreat.. guys like you giveme hope for today's youth....

zim bob the landscaper
12-18-2005, 01:10 AM
awesome...i dug out some crap for my grandpa when i was like ten with a skid...gotta agree w/ you zimbob...theyre wicked fun :)
yup i used a S250 bobcat both times now i want one so bad

chopsticks33
12-18-2005, 10:47 PM
it was a while ago...i dont really remember what i used...

South Florida Lawns
12-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Howdy folks!
I bought my first shovel when I was 7. I started using it helping dad build a vegetable garden on our 3 acres. It was my job to manage it because dad was at work all the time and relied on me. I was a rubber crutch at times, but by the time I was 9 I was mowing our lawn every week, and managing a 2500 sq. ft. garden. I was 10 when I used a friend's Case skid steer to bust out a concrete slab behind our house. Dad bought a 3' landscape rake and let me use it whenever he decided to add a berm or level a large patch of soil. The neighbors used to love to watch this skinny little kid kicking *** and liked to poke fun, but as I got older they started asking me to help them with small things around the yard, like trimming a bush or replacing rotted fenceposts. When I was 12 Dad decided that farming might be fun so he bought a whole fleet of antique equipment and started renting land for $50 an acre. I learned to plow and disc and everything else and still love it to this day. At 18 Dad bought a huge New Holland Super-boom loader to build a new driveway for our house. Guess who got to use it the most? About 330 tons of stone later and 4 semis of topsoil, the neighbors decided I should be in business for real, so I went out and bought a $7500 Ford F-150 and $6500 Exmark Lazer Z and paid for both in the first 6 months. I never have advertised and get all work from word of mouth. Dads brand new trailer for hauling tractors came in real handy.
My younger brother and I and a couple guys have kept ourselve busy 6 days a week since then and have become very popular around here.
I have a trade mark that may be one of the secrets to my success. I wear a white cowboy hat and pressed wranglers at all times along with any type of western boot. Even when I am covered with dirt I try to maintain a clean, sharp appearance. My straightforward dealings with potential customers close the deal over 95% of the time. Not only have I established a steady customer base of about 50 people, I get loads of side jobs from all the word of mouth advertising they do.
Going to a local college has been very difficult with my schedule, so I took mostly night classes which helped. To date I have squeezed an A out of every class and was nominated for the National Deans list this year. Thanks dad for starting me early and letting me use your tools!

HOW BOUT DAT.

bowhunter1432
12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Awsome story thanx for sharing it.