PDA

View Full Version : excavating

JTS Landscaping lawn
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
i am getting into excavating next year was wondering if anyone does this and how you started out getting jobs. i will be doing trenches and small demolition and other things along these lines. and was wondering just what a general price would be for doing this do you charge by the sq. ft.

qualitylandscaping
11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
We do quite a bit of excavating work.. mainly ponds, but we have done a few trenches, foundations, tear-downs and demolition, alot of drainage, and ditching..

Pricing for this is tough. We charge ballpark $220/hr for an excavator and 3 men on the job.

Starting getting jobs the same way we got all of our other work. Advertise advertise advertise!!!

Attached is a picture of a pond I finished off a few weeks ago. Took all summer to do it, mostly wet weather delays. Just over an acre in size, 30' deep in the middle. $9,500 in topsoil (my cost), $8,700 in gravel and crushed stone, $2,300 in dock materials.. Had over 700 man hours in on this project.. Fun work too!

hoskm01
11-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey Quality,
If you dont mind, what was the total price to customer? Nice work.

qualitylandscaping
11-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey Quality,
If you dont mind, what was the total price to customer? Nice work.

$77,489.61 Total

Including Excavation work, all topsoil and seeding around pond (equaled out to just over 1.5 acres, drainage and emergency run off, and labor/ materials. And of course good old NYS sales tax.

Net profit in my pocket after all payroll, expenses, materials, rental of excavator was $16,500. I spent about 220 hours on the site, so that would end up being $75.00/hr.. Got exactly what I wanted for it! Usually doesn't happen

lawncare18
11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
quality.. your good old friend from the cuse area.. spoke to youa while back via email... very very very nice work there... hows business and what up with the new tree company i see you got? hoope all is well..

JTS Landscaping lawn
11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
what did you do with the dirt that you dug out did you haul it away or just spread it around the pond.

AintNoFun
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
We charge ballpark $220/hr for an excavator and 3 men on the job.

$9,500 in topsoil (my cost), $8,700 in gravel and crushed stone, $2,300 in dock materials.. Had over 700 man hours in on this project.. Fun work too!

hmmmm.....
$220 an hour for a trackhoe with 3 guys? i get $175-250 for a skidsteer and an operator. What size machine are you using.

Also why do u use topsoil in building a pond, of the dozens ive seen built they've always used clay. And doesn't gravel act as a drain isn't that something you don't want in a pond????

neversatisfiedj
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
All Summer to make 16k ?

NNJLandman
11-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Well first to answer your question about how to get into the work, you should talk to local general contractors. They are usually looking for a good excavation contractor to dig foundations and sewer lines etc and what not thats the best place to get started. Just talk to local guys n stuff like that. You can advertise about it but I would suggest not to invest to much money into it for im sure there is a lot of guys all ready in your area with a much more excavation reputable name. Just my two cents.

Quality- really you spent all summer to make 16,500. I mean Im sure you profitted from the job but i mean you spent what seems like way to long of a time on that job only to make 16,5. I know guys that make 16,5 in about a week, still an achievement at your age and in your career. Yea also why did you use topsoil for the pond, never heard of that, usually clay based. We did a similar job with clay close to the size that pond looks like in the picture took us about 3 weeks, and we did landscape, n hardscape work at the house.

Jeff

qualitylandscaping
11-07-2005, 09:37 PM
what did you do with the dirt that you dug out did you haul it away or just spread it around the pond.

Some was hauled to the back of the property and used to build a berm. The rest was spread out in other areas around the pond and used as base material to provide better compaction.

qualitylandscaping
11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
hmmmm.....
$220 an hour for a trackhoe with 3 guys? i get $175-250 for a skidsteer and an operator. What size machine are you using.

Also why do u use topsoil in building a pond, of the dozens ive seen built they've always used clay. And doesn't gravel act as a drain isn't that something you don't want in a pond????

Used a Cat 345C Excavator.

We did use clay on the walls of the pond. Topsoil was used on top of the base, as we re-graded nearly two acres around the pond. The gravel is decorative. Pea gravel lining on the whole inside of it. Pea gravel and #3&4 crushed stone wall on the north end for drainage.

qualitylandscaping
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Well first to answer your question about how to get into the work, you should talk to local general contractors. They are usually looking for a good excavation contractor to dig foundations and sewer lines etc and what not thats the best place to get started. Just talk to local guys n stuff like that. You can advertise about it but I would suggest not to invest to much money into it for im sure there is a lot of guys all ready in your area with a much more excavation reputable name. Just my two cents.

Quality- really you spent all summer to make 16,500. I mean Im sure you profitted from the job but i mean you spent what seems like way to long of a time on that job only to make 16,5. I know guys that make 16,5 in about a week, still an achievement at your age and in your career. Yea also why did you use topsoil for the pond, never heard of that, usually clay based. We did a similar job with clay close to the size that pond looks like in the picture took us about 3 weeks, and we did landscape, n hardscape work at the house.

Jeff

I really only spent 200 hrs on the job. The rest of the summer I was working on other job sites. Although it took all summer to finish it, when we weren't there we were on other jobs, making money.

ajordan193
11-07-2005, 10:38 PM
qualitylandscapin..off topic but what brand trailers are you running (open) i saw them on your site. Btw nice job with the pond i like it..didn't know it costed that much but thats sweet.

northwest lawn
11-07-2005, 10:54 PM
im interested to know how that only at the age of 18 you are able to have such a large scale business? please inform all of us youngsters on here

qualitylandscaping
11-07-2005, 11:12 PM
qualitylandscapin..off topic but what brand trailers are you running (open) i saw them on your site. Btw nice job with the pond i like it..didn't know it costed that much but thats sweet.

We run Ez-Dumper, Diamond C, and Corn Pro open trailer.. I'd put Corn Pro at the top of my list but they are the most expensive. Worth it in my opinion..

AintNoFun
11-08-2005, 06:44 AM
somethings fishy, and it ain't the pond..

qualitylandscaping
11-08-2005, 08:26 AM

Why??? Are you jealous a 19yr old can operate a business better than you can? Are you irritated with the fact I just might do better work than you do? Are you saying the same things as everyone else on here? "No 19yr old kid could ever create a business of that size".

Well maybe, just maybe I am an exception. Yes I dropped out of high school to put 100% of my time into growing my small reality into something bigger. I started at 12yrs old, push mowing a few lawns for around $200.00/wk. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I never let anyone tell me no. Anyone local around here can tell you I am for real. Whether you big bad old guys pull your oversized ego's out of the ground or not, isn't my problem. I am running a successful and profitable business.

Do not judge a book by its cover.... Just because I am 19, doesn't mean I don't have the American right to own and operate a business. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to be bigger than you are. It doesn't mean I can't spend my money and consult with others in the industry to gain knowledge and expand my business ventures. It doesn't mean I don't want this more than you do or I'm not willing to try harder than you.

I'm not asking for you to believe me. In reality, I could really care less.

qualitylandscaping
11-08-2005, 08:26 AM

Why??? Are you jealous a 19yr old can operate a business better than you can? Are you irritated with the fact I just might do better work than you do? Are you saying the same things as everyone else on here? "No 19yr old kid could ever create a business of that size".

Well maybe, just maybe I am an exception. Yes I dropped out of high school to put 100% of my time into growing my small reality into something bigger. I started at 12yrs old, push mowing a few lawns for around $200.00/wk. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I never let anyone tell me no. Anyone local around here can tell you I am for real. Whether you big bad old guys pull your oversized ego's out of the ground or not, isn't my problem. I am running a successful and profitable business.

Do not judge a book by its cover.... Just because I am 19, doesn't mean I don't have the American right to own and operate a business. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to be bigger than you are. It doesn't mean I can't spend my money and consult with others in the industry to gain knowledge and expand my business ventures. It doesn't mean I don't want this more than you do or I'm not willing to try harder than you.

I'm not asking for you to believe me. In reality, I could really care less.

AintNoFun
11-08-2005, 09:43 AM
i don't care about your age or your schooling.. you could be 12 years old and making 500g a year and i'd say good for you.. its the story you concocted about building a pond with stone and topsoil... you said nothing about clay in your list of materials in the first post then when i mentioned clay you suddenly used it. your first post said you had 700 man hours. then you posted another post it was 220 man hours. don't post bs and expect not to get called out on it. at least get your lies straight..

qualitylandscaping
11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
i don't care about your age or your schooling.. you could be 12 years old and making 500g a year and i'd say good for you.. its the story you concocted about building a pond with stone and topsoil... you said nothing about clay in your list of materials in the first post then when i mentioned clay you suddenly used it. your first post said you had 700 man hours. then you posted another post it was 220 man hours. don't post bs and expect not to get called out on it. at least get your lies straight..

I did not haul in clay, thats why it was not on my materials list. The soil that was already on the site was clay, so bringing in more was not necessary. The 700 man hours were total crew hours for everyone on the site. I personally had 220 hrs on the site..

Get your facts straight before you call me out on them.. If you read the posts, you would have seen them..

lawncare18
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
why is everyone arguing so much?? looks like quality did a good job to me... I personally think everyone should calm down a bit.. if we dont think hes telling the truth then so be it.. Everyone seems to be jumpinghis back...

northwest lawn
11-10-2005, 12:56 AM
why cant we all just get along-neck