PDA

View Full Version : Raised Flagstone Questions

Scag52inch
11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
a good friend of mine called me about putting in a flagstone patio for him. The area is about 10' X 10' . The flagstone he purchased are 3' by 2'. The area slopes a small amount , about 6 inches at the most and when he told the stone yard about it they gave him clean 57's to use to build area up. I have seen that used for storage buildings but I thought you were supposed to use crusher run type of road base for the base . Then about an inch of stonedust. Am I right??

Also how could I build up the small part that is going to be below grade?

I have seen a concrete product at the local nursery that looks like stone. Its about 2 feet long and about 5 inches tall and wide and I think it is used for the risers in steps. Wonder if this would work???

Thanks

MarcusLndscp
11-08-2005, 08:33 PM
What do you mean by small part below grade? I guess not seeing it is throwing me on that part of your question. Yes you want to use a road base type material and stone dust to level them. You can get away with a bit more than 1" inch of dust if need be. At 10' you will want to pitch your patio about 2% or 2.4 inches. Use fabric below your base material and compact in lifts.

MarcusLndscp
11-08-2005, 10:57 PM
i know what you mean by a part below grade but where and why? Pics would help

Scag52inch
11-09-2005, 07:58 PM
the front of the patio need to be raised. I plan on doing it with retaining wall blocks. I think this will work but im not sure if I should put some adhesive on the flagstone that is going to be on top of blocks.
thanks

Scag52inch
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
the concrete product I was talking about ... the nursery no longer carries it.

MarcusLndscp
11-10-2005, 09:52 PM
with the pitch of the patio you will be left with only 2 or 3" of grade to make up out of the 6" you say you have total. Why don't you just grade your soils around it to match? No need to put any "wall" or border in for that little amount of grade