PDA

View Full Version : Power Seeding....tips and tricks.

dmc456
11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm looking to put together a good HOW TO sheet on power seeding.

If you do a lot of power seeding, please post what you normally do. Type of seeder, type of seed, watering instuctions for customers, etc....

Thanks

BSDeality
11-07-2005, 05:38 PM
power seeding? as in slit seeding?

I'll assume slit seeding: I use a lesco Renovator which dethatches at the same time. I do double pass (at half rate) seeding in 90 or 45 degree angles from one another. This reduces "crop row" effect and gets the best results if terrain is uneven

Seed depends on area. ie., sun vs shade, amount of use that could be expected on it.

Water mid morning, afternoon if possible for seedlings, reduce applications based on weather, temperature and growth. finish up with deep watering once or twice a week, shallow waterings encourage heavy top growth, but no root development.

btw, sell this service with aeration, starter fertilizer and liming (if applicable).

TURFLORD
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
First off, those power seeders that thatch,slice,and seed all at the same time,.....suck. If you have to remove heavy thatch do it seperately. Customers don't like to see any noticable amount of thatch on the lawn after a renovation. The all in one machines only work under the best of circumstances. Any moisture and the tubes plug up and the weight of the machine tears up the ground. IMO the best way...1. thatch seperately. 2. slice with a push type if lawn is not too big. 3. use a push spreader to apply seed. 4. using the back side of a spring rake, rake perpendicular to the sliced rows to work the seed into the trenches. A trackor with drag chains for larger props. 5. apply no more than 10-10-10 at a later date after proper irrigation has been verified. Alot of the time and especially with seniors the customer will wait for Mother Nature to do the watering. Mechanical stress,lime,high N,and whatever else all at once will kill existing turf without proper watering.

LonniesLawns
11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Ever used an aerovator with seeding -- GREAT results!

Runner
11-09-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the post that says that slitseeders suck. We have fantastic results with ours, and we use both processes. Ours doesn't have tubes to clog up. though. The beauty of a machine like the renovator is that it is all done in one step (except the starter fert.). Another thing is that 10% is not nearly enough adequate phos. for really helping turfplant seedlings out. We (and everyone else) use nothing short of 24% around here.

TURF DOCTOR
11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
We have a renovater we love this machine great results,it does look like crap after we use it 100 percent growth is the bottom line.Getting to the question lesco renovater, type of seed lesco,we tell the customers to water most of the time they do but 70 percent do not.

turfcobob
11-21-2005, 11:50 AM
go to Turfco.com and copy the book they have in the web site they do not care and they will even send you some if you call them. It is called "Can I restore my Lawn?"

ProLawns
11-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Those of you that use the renovator do you leave the thatch on the lawn or rake it up? Also, how close to a hard surface can you get and how do you seed corners? Just curious, i'm considering getting one.

BSDeality
11-22-2005, 12:47 PM
raised hard surfaces (curb) will leave a 4" gap. However if it is ground level you can get right next to it.

Corners are tricky if they're fenced or lined with a house or something, I do the corners by hand.