PDA

View Full Version : Performer Intake

85w/350
03-25-2001, 11:35 PM
Hey guys! Need some help specifically from you lawn care guys that might have experience with this. I have been thinking about purchasing an edlebrock Performer intake for quite sometime now. My biggest fear being the family mechanic is putting the intake on my dad's 82 c-10 lwb and him getting pissed off because it drinks even more gas then it already does. I think it is worth the money because he pulls trailers quite often behind his truck where as with mine i do not--thats the reason its going on his truck. I am talking about trailering anything from a popup camper to a 14' flatbed loaded down with 5tons of tractor equipment. I think that the intake will help alot with torque and hopefully gas mileage even without a trailer...before i take this chance I thought i would consult with you guys that my run this setup and have noticed a difference since the upgrade. Thanks to all!

SummitFarmer
03-26-2001, 10:12 AM
Try going to edlebrock's web site and see if there is a contact you can go to or FAQ's that may give you some idea. I think with just the manifold you probably won't see the benefits you would with the entire "system" they recommend (ie, heads,cam,lifters,manifold). Just a thought.

85w/350
03-26-2001, 11:03 AM
I have checked those studies out already but thanks for the input...and I agree that the studies don't show to big of a difference unless you install the performer kit...I just realized that I didn't specify in my last post that the engine is a 350

03-26-2001, 05:41 PM
If you're looking to improve the trailering ability of the truck, I would suggest an intake manifold + a cam ground for that application (low & mid range power), as well as dual exhaust. Having used headers on my truck in the past, I found them to be a nuisance when changing plugs and the salt "did 'em in" fairly quickly - although I don't think road salt is much of a factor in your area!. I now run with the older style "ram horn" (center outlet) manifolds.

I'm running a 350 as well, with a T400 trans. It's in a dually that weighs in at well over 8,000 lbs with the plow/winch/wrecker etc on, so my mileage is pretty lousy anyway. I don't think you'll see much (if any) decrease in fuel mileage on a C-10 with the modifications listed above.

Like SummitFarmer said, just (another) thought.

plowking35
03-26-2001, 06:01 PM
With dad driving the truck he probably wont see much difference in performance either tho. Leave it alone, if dad is happy dont mess with it.
Dino

85w/350
03-27-2001, 06:01 PM
I think I will go with plowking's suggestion for now...I have thought about running dual exhaust oh it...and that does look like a very near future mod. Thanks for all the input

66Construction
03-28-2001, 11:41 PM
No matter what you do just make sure you balance it out. Dont's upgrade the exhaust without upgrading the intake. Match the exhaust with a K&N filter. If you swap in performer heads you might want to use a bigger throtle body or carb in your case. I have shorty headers with the K&N no muffler(LOUD)it made a diference in the low end torque, I saw a minimal gain in gas mileage on the highway. Changing plugs is a breeze, use the spark plug socket with an open end wrench when it gets tight! I wraped them, I think it voided the waranty but it holds some heat(Not that heat is any better then salt)and keeps the salt off. Summit sells shorty headers pretty cheap, smoewhere around $150, direct bolt in!
Casey

Jeff's Classics
04-01-2001, 10:12 AM
Your gas mileage should go up with the Performer. Also, throttle response will be better, meaning that if you give a little more pedal it should respond better than with the stock intake manifold. You may or may not have much of a HP gain, but in terms of driveability it will be noticeable. I wouldn't bother with the cam or heads unless you are rebuilding the entire motor, not worth the trouble in my opinion. Exhaust headers are worth it, though. Get long-tube headers, or don't bother. The shorties aren't much better then what you have. I put DynoMax cermacoat headers on my '76 454, a little over $200 for pair already coated. Between the headers, Performer intake, and 2-1/2" exhaust I picked up quite a bit of power and driveability over stock with no mileage loss. In fact, if I could keep my foot out of it I would probably pick up one or two MPG.
Jeff
http://www.jeffsclassics.com

66Construction
04-01-2001, 10:29 PM
Jeff's Classics

Where did you get your headers? My Flotech shorties were almost $200, the ceramic coated ones were outrageous. I wanted the Edlebrock tubular exhaust setup but could't talk myself into droping the money on an exhaust.

One question, I have a 90 gmc with a 350, if I put the performer intake on it and then put a bigger throttle body in can I maintain the 12mpg I get now. Or will the bigger throtle body lower the mpg even though the intake is suposed to help you get bettet gas mileage. Or would I be better off going to multiport? Oh dear I can the the credit card bill now!
Casey