PDA

View Full Version : New duramax LBZ

kc2006
11-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Anyone have one of the new duramax's (think the engine code is LBZ)? Your thoughts on it so far? Or aren't they even out yet??

I was at the dealership today and they told me about it, that thing is making some major power stock, 360hp and 650ftlbs. They didn't have any there of course, heck they only had 3 diesels at all. I got a price on a truck with all the options I'd want and it was 31,000 with my fathers discount. Not a bad price at all but alittle more then I can afford at the moment. Thinking I might try to find a 02 or 03 duramax with low miles (very low), the trans in the ford is taking a poo and I dont want to spend 2500 on that and still have to replace some other stuff.

And no I dont want to hear how cummins are the shizzle :D :dizzy:

Jpocket
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Good man a Duramax is a good way to go. A friend of mine has an 02' Duramax, and it is way more powerful than my 05' 6.0 gasser. I haven't heard of any problems with any of the Duramax's

kc2006
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm very tempted to get a 2500HD plow truck with the 6.0

They come with the plow prep package and a meyer plow already mounted, nice looking truck too. sticker was 29,000 but with discount we could get it for probably 24-25 and theres a 3500 dollar rebate.

Price is right for me. But I'm known for being the diesel freak now, so I have to stick with it :D I get made fun of daily for putting the diesel before my car...its a sad thing. :D

UNISCAPER
11-09-2005, 10:45 AM
That is available in the 2006 trucks. They dropped thew Robert Bosch injection and switched to the high pressure Nippondenso injection system that Isuzu designed for the engine. As far as the power/torque, I can't imagine why anyone would need to boost that from the stock 05 and older versions. We've pulled some pretty heavy loads through the mountain passes and never been short of power.

personally I think all the manufacturers are getting stupid with the more HP, more torque trends, because with any of the big three diesels, you simply don't need it. I would much rather see them all pool together, keep similar HP and develope and engine that would consistantly get 25-30MPG rather than beefing up the HP.

Much like the way they rate fuel milage, they have ways of twisting the HP ratings and have used them for years starting way before the Chrysler B-block Hemi (426 cubic inches), this one was the most notable in recent years.

It had a writtten HP rating of 425, with torque output at 510 ft lbs at 5,000 RPM. That made the cars the engine went into insurable. Since they assembled that engine by hand in the marine laboratory, the people on that prokject were capable of creating any result they needed to see in a relatively uncontrolled environment. In actuality, that engine produced 585 HP, and put out 620 ft lbs of torque at 5,800 RPM.

They do the same thing with modern day pick up truck engines (slant the HP ratings) so they can use the numbers as marketing tools.

kc2006
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Diesels are hot tickets now adays, theres starting to be more and more guys that want diesels for the easy horsepower and huge torque yet dont use them for heavy loads. So thats why the companies feel they need to keep uping the power. Just like you said with the muscle cars, thats the same thing going on here and its a war of power.

I get very good milage in my truck, better then a gas engine would, everyone with new trucks report only 14-16mpg but then again its going to be a while before those diesels even wear in and get good milage. Your right also that they should focus on other areas.

I know me personally I haven't used my current diesel for anything real heavy (8000 or 9000 lbs one time thats all) but I like diesels, and the easy modifications. Not much you can do with a modern gas engine without getting into the engine or bolting on a supercharger or turbo.

Eclipse
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
First of all Cummins is the shizzle :p :)

Seriously though a friend of mine who has had an 03 Dmax and now an 05 Dmax got to drive an 06 while he was out in Utah. He said it is a very, very strong truck. He even thought it was stonger than his lightly modified (Edge Box) 05.

kc2006
11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
First of all Cummins is the shizzle :p :)

I knew someone would do that :cry: :p

Eclipse
11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I knew someone would do that :cry: :p

C'mon you were asking for it in your first post. :drinkup:

kc2006
11-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I was actually expecting lawnworks to come on with his picture of the turd in the toilet (you know the one, it looks like a dodge truck :O ) and start a 40 page thread about how power cant be made with chevy's :D