PDA

View Full Version : neutral safety switch

Garet
03-26-2001, 01:27 AM
How do you go about bypassing the neutral safety switch on a 73 Chevy K-10 th350, 350?

thx

garet

Garet
03-26-2001, 04:18 PM
I didn't know the switch was that involved in the starting process. Would be a bad idea.

Garet

03-26-2001, 05:49 PM
Garet - glad to see you "caught yourself". I wouldn't recommend bypassing the switch either. Just out of curiosity, why were you thinking of bypassing it? If it isn't working properly, it may only need to be adjusted - I had to do that to mine this winter when the backup lights started to work "part time".

Garet
03-26-2001, 07:12 PM
to get my truck started and ran a little to see if the front end I just put in is working properly. How do you adjust the switch by the way? I have another from a different truck but I would prefer salvaging the one that is in it for now.

03-26-2001, 07:39 PM
OK - looking at a service manual (genuine Chevrolet one for 1977 light trucks) it says to:

Place shift lever in neutral
Loosen attaching screws (1 at each end of the switch into the column)
Rotate switch on column and insert .096" dia gauge pin to a depth of 3/8" (diagram shows it going into the top centre of the switch)
Tighten attaching screws.

Basically, get the shift linkage in neutral & centre the switch up to match. Actually changing it doesn't too involved anyway, by the time you go to adjust it you're 2/3 of the way there.

BTW, did everything work OK in the front end? Hope it did.