PDA

View Full Version : Bid this 3000 sqft Versa-Lok retaining wall

Stonehenge
03-26-2001, 03:47 PM
Ok, commercial wall builders -

I have some bid info for a wall that's going to go up at a Wal-Mart north of me, and I'm going to try to take a crack at it.

I'll add more info later (as the plans are going to be e-mailed over to me), but here's what we know:

3000 sqft versa-Lok (5250 units, approx)

8 ft of embedment, 12' at tallest (over embedment)

Approx 300 lineal feet.

16 rolls of Versa-Lok 3.0 grid, 6'x150'

Project is approx 2 hours away.

If you were to assume this was a straight wall, with full access, vehicular surcharge, what would you bid?

And here's a dumb question for you - do I send my bid to the builders bidding on the job, or the owner of the place, or the architect???

Bid has to be in tomorrow.

kermit
03-26-2001, 05:08 PM
100,000+/-, make sure there is an engineer's stamp on the plan so it's his ass on the line, not yours.

cat320
03-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Well I always heard that you double the cost of your stock plus you gotta figure traval time and the stone for dranage plus any other materials or equipment.Send your bid to the builder if you got the plans from him or the owner if from him.I came up with $63K just for the block plus the stone draniage pipe and the grid you will need . good luck

paul
03-26-2001, 06:23 PM
Stonehenge, Figure it for going at $24.00 per face ft. Who to bid it to, would be the GC he's the one putting up building. You have the specs from Bend yet? Figure out the tonnage of stone that you need for this job, figure also renting a compactor (roller type). Most times an Excavator will have it dug for you so that will make life easier, plus direct access for stone and wall things should go well.

cat320
03-26-2001, 06:30 PM
also figure on one or two bobcats with forks too.This wall goes fast one you get the first course layed and leveled.You must figure a day just to get everything set up and level.

Stonehenge
03-26-2001, 08:20 PM
Here's another question, regarding the 8' embedment -

I've never had to lay block in an 8' trench before - Do I need to take steps to protect passersby? If so, what?

I have Bend's info, but am just getting the drawing now over e-mail. 1 day doesn't sound like much time to bid this thing. Do you usually have more time?

I think the roller is a good idea.

As for the excavation - should I expect or ask the GC to do that?

BTW as of now, there are 3 GC's going for the job.

***** I've had a chance to look through a bit *****

Jesus this is intimidating! I haven't even looked at the drawings yet, and there are all kinds of if-thens - if the fill soil isn't such-and-such, other fill will have to be trucked in, if this isn't so, that has to happen...These are all things that'll make a huge impact on the price of the project.

They spec how the grid has to be stored, and on, and on. How much of this is really important (and checked/enforced)?

Also, what are welded wire baskets, as it pertains to wall construction. I;ve never heard of them.

[Edited by Stonehenge on 03-26-2001 at 08:03 PM]

paul
03-26-2001, 09:33 PM
Stone, take a step back on this. Welded wire baskets "Gabions" your saying 8' below grade? you better e-mail me those drawing or fax them I have done some trench work but not so much as for passers by but for your guys you need trench reinforcement or a trench box. I'll be on tonight if you need help.

[Edited by paul on 03-26-2001 at 08:43 PM]

SCL
03-27-2001, 11:32 PM
I'm not one to flame somebody on here, but cat 320 I just gotta ask: Are you telling me that you can lay 300'of base in 1 day? Also, you said about price that you double the price of your stock. If the price of Versa is the same as Rockwood or Diamond or XXX its around $7.50 a ft. You can't tell me you'd do this for $15 a ft?
Stone,
I think it very unreasonable that they expect you to accomplish this bid in 1 day. Sounds like they are trying to scare you off. Most GC's have favorites that they like to bring in but they can't deny a competitors bid cause how would that look.Had this happen to me at a local project. My name and two others given by the company and only one got a call. It wasn't me. Politics, go figure. If they make you standardize a bid full of variables you're going to lose your @$$. Good luck and see if you can get a copy of the winning bid if it doesn't happen to be you.

Stonehenge
03-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Well, I didn't bid it.

I got a chance to check out the spec book and the plan at a local builder's exchange, where they also gave me a tour of the place. As I took a little time in there, there were all kinds of questions that popped up that I had no answer to, and that nobody there gave me an answer I was satisfied with. So, I figured better safe than sorry.

Portions of one the walls is going to be 32' high!! Wow!!

I don't know if anyone was trying to scare me off, the person that gave me the heads up had a vested interest in me getting the job.

I had spoken to a local sales rep for a brick and block mfg and told him I was wanting to get into commercial work, and if he could throw leads my way I'd appreciate it. As I understand it when he learned that the project spec'd Versa-Lok, he contacted me to give me the heads up. He gave me pricing info on their materials for that quantity and some info on the project. So I don't think I was being excluded in this case.

So, after some late night coaching from friends, I have a better idea of what to do/expect for these projects, and will go back to that plan room and look for some more biggies to tackle.

cat320
03-28-2001, 07:13 PM
SCL I have heard that they douuble the cost of the block and ad for the drainage stone the grid if needed and fill .Maybe it's different pricing stratagies at different places.If you have a big crew you might be able to lay a good amout of block.I have never layed 300' but the point I was making maybe I didn't say it right but once the first course is layed it goes alot faster untill you have to lay out the grid.On a job that big you would need some heavy equipment to backfill as you go to keep up with the block.

Lanelle
03-29-2001, 12:04 AM
I'm really disappointed that you didn't bid the Versa Lok Wall. I could say bunches more but I won't.

paul
03-29-2001, 08:06 AM
Not going to say much :(

Stonehenge
03-29-2001, 08:53 AM
Well, thanks at least for not beating me up too much. I'm more disappointed now, too: I paid my money and looked at the 30 or so projects being bid in the next couple weeks that have any landscaping - about the only thing landscaping they need is seed. No hardscapes.

Stick with me, I'll be there for the next one!