PDA

View Full Version : Fire!!!!!!

JRSlawn
11-10-2005, 10:40 AM
On friday of last week I lost my truck a trailer and straw blower to a fire. I was out blowing straw trying to hustle it in for the customer and a little piece of straw caught on fire next thing you know I have 75 bales of straw on fire on the trailer so I pull it up away from the houses and let it burn. I had about 10 bales in the bed of my truck a little bit of wind and the whole truck was lit up. I have some pics of the truck I will try to post. It has been a hell of a week ready to call it a year:cry:

Popper357
11-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Dang! Drama....cool....lets see some pics

Old Red
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a year ender. Please post pics so I can post them and your story in my shop as a safety reminder.

Killswitch
11-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Whoa, what a bummer. Nice job saving the structures.

Hopefully your insurance will pull through and youll be posting pics of the new rig by spring.

sheshovel
11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
You mean to tell me you jumped inside a truck that had a trailer attached with 75 blazing bales of straw on it?And drove it away?You are NUTS!

walker-talker
11-10-2005, 02:02 PM
You mean to tell me you jumped inside a truck that had a trailer attached with 75 blazing bales of straw on it?And drove it away?You are NUTS!
Nuts....yeah...but it sounds like he knew everything was toast (no pun intended) and kept his cool. I guess I will be the one to ask....how did the piece of straw catch fire.....exhaust muffler?

JRSlawn
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey guys I will get those pics up tonight or tommarow. Sheshovel the reason I jumped in the truck and pulled it out to the street was because my dad was the builder of the two houses inbetween where the blower was. The blower I used was on the back of a landscape trailer. You dont see these around aymore and now I know why. They are so dangerous. the new ones are on a trailer and the trailer cannot hold any straw meaning you would have to keep it all i the back of the truck. If a piece got on the muffle and lit up it would not be able to get to the other bales. I worked so hard to get a new truck and I had to watch it burn.

sheshovel
11-10-2005, 08:08 PM
That is a real bum deal.Your insurance cover that kind of thing by any chance?
I'm not saying you should not have moved it out of and area where it could have caught houses on fire.
I'm just saying you must have gonads made of solid steel!

hwm57
11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Wow! Yesterday we were finishing a seeding job at a large factory addition here. I let the guys blow straw while the general contractor took me to lunch, during which he praised my work and promised more big jobs. We came back to the site and as we turned into the entrance he said "whats on fire?". Well, it was my NPR w/landscape body that we were blowing straw off of. Fortunately my guys were able to throw the burning bales off the truck before there was to much damage. I lost the tail lights to the truck and it burned the paint off the tailgate and one side of the strawblower. Apparently some straw came in contact with the belts and the friction caused the straw to ignite. This happened to me once before (with same contractor also) about 4 years ago. The fire dept responded yesterday and after extinguishing the blaze the captain told me he had 3 strawblower fires this year.

kootoomootoo
01-29-2006, 03:41 PM
.............................Pics?

sheshovel
01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Kootoomootoo,this thread is 2 months old and now you want pics?Pay attention

topsites
01-29-2006, 05:41 PM

H3ll no, after doing that I would've seen if I could've unhooked the trailer lol

One thing I noticed myself this year, with me it was leaves and the pushblower, you have to really watch it because the tindery stuff likes to get caught up around the muffler and it will ignite, this is a serious concern of mine.

JRSlawn
01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
:cry: We figured that out after the fire dept left and the tow trucks were taking away my brand new mangaled truck trailer and blower one of my guys said hey we could have just un hooked the trailer talk about being pissed. But we also had straw in the back of the truck about 10 bales so we were screwed no matter what. Live and learn.

JRSlawn
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
kootoo Arnt you loacted in the akron ohio area? We should get together some time. Yes I will try to get some pics all I have is some pics of the truck and dumper no pics of the trailer they took it straight to the insurance lot. It was amazing the flames were so hot and tall they were taller then the two houses and they were both 2 story homes. Oh well this job was for my dad he owns touchstone builders he was driving the truck while this happened. He was pertrified. Needless to say he just got me three new installs today so my rep wasnt hurt at all.

mcwlandscaping
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Nice recovery, although still it was awhile ago, srry for you loss there!

kootoomootoo
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
yep just up the road a bit. Couple of guys i know dropped off a load of straw
then proceeded to drive up the road with what was left of the straw on fire.
LOL they didnt stop.