PDA

View Full Version : '94 f-350 diesel help

tnmtn
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
hello all,
i have a 94 f-350 with the 7.3 int'l diesel. no turbo. i would like to get a little more power for towing up hills and was wondering if anyone knew if a programmer was available for this engine. i haven't had much luck locating one. if not,any suggestions to hop it up a bit without putting a turbo on it. the truck has high miles and not sure a turbo would be a good idea at this point. i am towing about 12000 lbs. of trailer and it is coming up short as it is now. thanks in advance for any help,
metin

UNISCAPER
11-10-2005, 09:49 PM
That one dies not use a computer, so, a programmer won't work. you have to do it the old school way, mechanically by beefing up the injector pump to poush more juice.

We took one of ours and added a 4" exhaust, then opened the muffer and gutted it, then welded the ends back on. It had a little more power, but basically, still could not pull a booger out of a wet bucket of snot.

Smalltimer1
11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
No programmer available, as it has mechanical control and injection.

You can remove the 'soup bowl' in the air filter tray and that will help it breathe better. It may not be noticeable but it will help airflow and fuel economy (relative to the truck's size).

You can also have the IP turned up but you need to have a professional do it to avoid screwing up a $800 IP.

Other than those items, there's not much short of rebuilding the whole engine and doing it all from the ground up, such has having ceramic coated pistons, o-ring'd heads, head machining, propane/water injection, and an aftermarket turbo.

The IDI's don't have very much of an aftermarket other than Banks or ATS. The 7.3 Non-turbo made 170hp in '94, the last year of its production. It's no speed demon, but is a solid base for those working trucks.

It might be helpful to you to ask this over on The Diesel Stop where there are IDI experts. My knowledge is more in the area of the 7.3 and 6.0 Power Strokes.

tnmtn
11-10-2005, 10:13 PM
thanks for the help. i was curious what the hp and torque was rated for that year. 170 hp i guess that says it all. less than the isusu npr's. i'll check the diesel stop. otherwise it is a great truck.

Smalltimer1
11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
thanks for the help. i was curious what the hp and torque was rated for that year. 170 hp i guess that says it all. less than the isusu npr's. i'll check the diesel stop. otherwise it is a great truck.

Better to have a 7.3 than a GM 6.2 with a whopping 135hp.:D

Guthrie&Co
11-10-2005, 11:24 PM
i know who that goes out to. hahaha

UNISCAPER
11-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Did they even have that many HP in a 6.2? Those things were fyooken yunk.

Smalltimer1
11-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Did they even have that many HP in a 6.2? Those things were fyooken yunk.

I think the last ones might have hit 150hp in '92 just before the switch to the 6.5 for good...I know the best dyno run by a stock 6.2/auto was 95rwhp. The '81-'88's were all 135hp....gutless at best.

Green Pastures
11-11-2005, 12:07 AM
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

Gravel Rat
11-11-2005, 04:04 AM
The old IDIs are good and reliable no they are not much power the one I had was okay it did pull the 8-10% grades a little slow when the truck was grossing 16,000lbs. Mine was a N/A (naturally aspirated) I never did get around spending the 2500-3000 dollars for a turbo. You add a turbo and rebuild the injection system you should see some power increase. The limitation for the IDIs that were turbo less is the compression is 21:1 so you can't blow much air to them. The other problem is the injection pump only puts out so much fuel I forget the max hp per hole. You can add propane etc but its not worth it just put a turbo on it.

You have to watch the Exhaust Gas Temperature you can melt pistions if your not carefull. You add too much boost you will blow head gaskets.

If you want more power you might aswell buy a newer truck something in the 97 and newer range. I sold the IDI and bought a 95 the stock PSD doesn't have the low end b*lls like the IDI. Both trucks are F-450s the IDI had 5:13s in the diff the PSD has 4:63s both 5spds the 95 weighs 8400lbs the 89 weighed 7900lbs. I'am not going to chip the PSD it already drinks enough fuel I will upgrade the down pipe and eliminate the cat.

I liked the fact the IDIs were all mechanical the only achilles heal was the return line system if they leaked air man the IDIs are a biatch to start. I never had any problems I avoided disturbing the injector caps and return lines.

As for the 6.2 they are okay they are underpowered but if you want good fuel economy they have it. A local tow truck operator used to have a Chevy tow truck with 6.2 power he used to pull some heavy trucks with it. The heaviest he pulled was a 3 ton school bus I think it weighed 14,000lbs.

The 6.5s are turds they are underpowered I drove a 3500 Chevy dually flatdeck 4x4 hauling firewood used to put a cord (4500-5000lbs) on the truck and it was a PIG.

Smalltimer1
11-11-2005, 11:14 AM
About the best you can do with an IDI for HP without doing a rebuild is around 200-210hp with an aftermarket turbo. Better can be done with lowering compression and using a larger turbo. You can lower the compression during a rebuild using different rings to about 18 or 19:1 to keep from blowing the head gaskets from too much boost. As it is a factory turbo IDI only runs about 5-7psi of boost. Most PSD's run about 20(moderate)-30(high)psi of boost. A Banks Sidewinder aftermarket turbo for the IDI's run about 10-12 psi.

lawnmaniac883
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow, 21:1 compression ratio, thats pretty stout to be talkin bout adding boost to that arrangement. Best bang for the buck is gonna be a rebuild. How many miles are on this engine? Never knew compression was lowered with different rings?;)

Smalltimer1
11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Wow, 21:1 compression ratio, thats pretty stout to be talkin bout adding boost to that arrangement.

That's why it only runs less than 10 psi with a factory turbo. Any more than that and you'll be eating head gaskets.

Never knew compression was lowered with different rings?;)

That and a different type of head gasket as well as some head machining. You can look at LMC and they will have stock rings, Ford/IH will have stock rings, ATS will have ones suited for higher boost. IDI's are very particular--they're not a common Cummins....

tnmtn
11-12-2005, 09:42 AM
there are 248000 miles on the truck. it is a good running truck. recent trip it got 16 mpg light. i don't believe i will be spending much to try to get more power from it. i have a lighter trailer that i can use it for towing. so i guess the shopping begins for a bigger one. thanks for all the help and advice.
metin

Eclipse
11-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Never knew compression was lowered with different rings?

Me neither :rolleyes: Usually blowby is a bad thing but I guess it would work to lower compression though :D

Oh wait now you need to machine the head and you need a different HG too. LMAO

Lawnworks
11-12-2005, 11:04 AM
You can lower the compression during a rebuild using different rings

LOL LOL our own lawnsite powerstroke engine expert has spoke again!!!

Gravel Rat
11-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Different pistions which IHC made for the IDI to lower the compression a little bit for the turbo is what you need. If the engine has high miles on it leave it N/A and run it till it dies.

Lawnworks
11-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Different pistions which IHC made for the IDI to lower the compression a little bit for the turbo is what you need. If the engine has high miles on it leave it N/A and run it till it dies.

Right on. I agree screw performance on that thing... run it till it dies.

lawnmaniac883
11-12-2005, 07:22 PM
there are 248000 miles on the truck. it is a good running truck. recent trip it got 16 mpg light. i don't believe i will be spending much to try to get more power from it. i have a lighter trailer that i can use it for towing. so i guess the shopping begins for a bigger one. thanks for all the help and advice.
metin

Ok, at 248000, you need a rebuild. You have reached the point where a rebuild will do more good than adding performance goodies to a shot engine.

Eclipse
11-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Is it likely that the thing is that worn out at 248k? I wouldn't think so but I'm not an expert on the 7.3

lawnmaniac883
11-12-2005, 10:18 PM
If hes sayin he is down on power, then yea, it is worn out. After all, it aint no cummins :waving:

Dirty Water
11-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Smalltimer: Lower compression by changing rings? Last I heard you can lower compression by cutting a hole in your exhaust valve too.

:laugh:

Expert my ass.

Gravel Rat
11-13-2005, 12:23 AM
With 248,000 miles on it ya its seeing its end of lifespan the truck is probably seeing its end of its lifespan too once the engine goes look for a newer truck or another truck with lower mileage.

Here in B.C. Canada a 7.3 IDI is pretty much only gauranteed to go 300,000kms 186,420 miles. You will be very hard pressed to find a IDI powered truck here with that kind of mileage without a overhaul. When your pulling our steep grades every day that wears a truck out. Some of our hills here have 8 to 10% grades the roads are not straight your up and down on the throttle all the time.

We had 3 IDI trucks in this one community crap out at 250,000-300,000 you won't see a PSD truck get past that mark either the truck is worn out.

When you only get 11,185 miles out of a set of Michelin tires on the front of my F-450 and regular dually P/Us you can get a idea out twisty our roads are.

People from other parts of Canada and States get car sick from the twisty roads. In the summer you see allot of tourist on the side of the road healed over retasting lunch or breakfast :laugh:

People say oh Dodge Cummins last the longest nope you see more old Fords than Dodge old Chevies and GMC are the second oldest vehicals you see on the road.

UNISCAPER
11-13-2005, 11:59 AM
We had one with that amount of milage on it and then I got sick of buying transmissions so we sold it off.

The engine had the same power as when we bought it, we replaced one cylinder head at about 245,000 because a valve guide wollered out, and when I took compression we had a range from 390-400 across the board. So, before you go to far, yank out the glow plugs and put in your compression gauge and write down the numbers you get before and after you squirt a shot of oil in the holes. See what you have to work with.

The diesel machine shop I got the remanned head from had a Ford Econoline 350 van with a 5 speed stick in it. The shop owner bought it new in 1994, and it is their prime delivery vehicle. It has never had the heads off and he claimed it had 1,000,000 miles on the engine. All California highways, and it made many runs up the coast to L.A. from a southern San Diego suburb. They dumped oil every 7500 and they ran Valvoline synflow all synthetic.

So, what I'm saying is, that engine is pretty bullet proof, just doggy and inefficient by todays standards. They are also not the best cold start engines. So, like others say, run that puppy until it can't crap anymore.