PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back Spiraea

Thirdpete
11-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Hello again-
I was asked to cut back Spiraea and do some weeding in a six by twelve bed. The weeding and general cleaning out of a bed is not a problem. But i'm not familiar with the time or work involved with this particular plant.
I know how to price it once I can figure out how long it will take me to do the work.

Any pointers?

NickN
11-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Spirea are easy to cut back.Just use hand pruners.They bloom on new wood,so no need to worry where to cut or what time of year.I trim them back during the summer,after the blooms fade as well.This promotes new blooms throughout the summer.

sheshovel
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Cut it back to third or 4th dormant bud on each stem,
remove any dead stems and ones that have no dormant buds showing.Or you can also just deadhead the spent flowers just below them to the next bud and leave them like that if you like.

Thirdpete
11-12-2005, 12:56 AM
So i can just use hand pruners to cut it 2-4 inches from the ground?

PR Fect
11-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Pete, you can cut the Spria down to one third of its original hight. This should be done in April just before new growth. Like the others have said, take out any dead from the center. And then give them several light prunings during the growing season so as to keep good color. PR

Grassmechanic
11-12-2005, 10:16 AM
So i can just use hand pruners to cut it 2-4 inches from the ground?
Depending on the variety, yes. I've done this with Anthony Waterers, Neon Flash, and Goldflame, and they respond very well. By treating them as perennials and cutting them back close to the ground, you'll have a nice compact bush the next season.