PDA

View Full Version : pine needles

T-Trim
11-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I've got this job that requires removal of pine needles about 700 -800 sq ft
and about 5-6 inches deep. The guy who needs it done said " well the other landscaper justs raked and tarped them to the truck. I was going to suck them up with my TurfTiger and call it aday. but for some reason I feel if ee about the choose I made.

Runner
11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Pine needles are NOT an easy thing to just suck up with a mower. They usually require raking or some other kind of mechanical agitation. I use to use power rakes to get them up and/or pitchforks to drag and rake them. Now, I use a JRCO rake and I'll tell you, this is the cat's meow. The machine I run it on has a hydraulic deck lift, though, so I can just plow them up and lift and pile them right up onto a tarp. If you don't have any of these though. DO get yourself a pitchfork that has the tines about 3" apart. You can just hold that up somewhat straight and use it as a rake. It is SO much easier than hacking with a rake because the pitchfork just penetrates better. It is also more rigid for lift or pushing the piles ( or rows) onto the tarps.

T-Trim
11-12-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm not trying to completely clean the area just reduce the needles there. Sorry for not giving all of the requirements to the job. I'm just cleaning the needles under the pines itself not the lawn

Runner
11-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Yeah,...that's what I was refering to. The ones that blow farther and into the lawn usually vacuum up fairly easy with the mower.