PDA

View Full Version : Firewood..

Baseballer1100
11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Split tons of logs this weekend... I was wondering where you can sell some of this stuff. Whats the best way...etc. Also is walnut good for burning?

kirk brown
11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
not sure if it`s good for burning(prob. is being hardwood)but black walnut sells for good money to furniture makers and such.

john_incircuit
11-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Next time, contact the saw mills before you cut and split walnut. Good walnut brings in good money

John

Baseballer1100
11-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Well it was already cut into big pieces and my uncle just wanted to get rid of it really didnt have a choice...Had over 50 walnut trees cut wish i would have done this

kirk brown
11-13-2005, 10:11 AM
i would phone anyway,if they are in "big" pieces it may still be worth something.

walker-talker
11-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Wood around here varies. Some were selling as high as $150 a rick, delivered. I think to make money you would have to sell this high. I found a place that sold it for $50 and I had to pick it up. This worked out well for me. Track you time to see how long it takes you to split a ricks worth of wood and then delivery charge. You will have some fuel and equipment expenses, but I think most will be just your time and what you want to charge.

MJ
11-15-2005, 04:47 PM
The only legal measurement for wood is a "cord" which is 128 cubic ft - commonly 4'x4'x8'. Price varies by region, but if heating oil is used in your area, one way to get good idea of the worth of good, seasoned hardwood is figuring a cord is equal in heat value to 100 gallons of heating oil. If this isn't "seasoned" ( was cut and split about a year ago), then it's worth less. For unseasoned hardwood, I'd offer about 75% of seasoned wood. In this area, I sold good, well-seasoned mixed hardwood (Oak, Maple and Birch) for $180/cord. I've seen everywhere from $140 to $220 this winter.

Walnut burns ok. Not as well as Oak, but probably about as well as some Maple varieties.

As far as how to sell it, look in your paper for "Firewood for Sale". If there isn't any, you might contact a store that sells woodstoves for ideas to find customers.

ps - Determine how long these pieces are. Most common for woodstoves is 16" and 24". Anything bigger will likely need to be cut again.

Grassmechanic
11-16-2005, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=MJ]The only legal measurement for wood is a "cord" which is 128 cubic ft - commonly 4'x4'x8'. QUOTE]

... or a face cord. 4'x8' by whatever length the log is, i.e. in a full 4'x4'x8' cord of 16" logs, there would be 3 face cords.