PDA

View Full Version : Pricing lawn cutting by the year

Global Organic
11-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Our season in Ontario Canada is from mid April to the end of October. It is a one person job. For lawns up to 3000 sq ft I am thinking of charging $495 for the season. Does this sound high or low or close?
Thanks

nocutting
11-15-2005, 11:49 PM
I did that when I 1st started, how about $22.50 per cut, smaller/$20, larger $25......always add that .50 cents, really adds up on the monthly charges:waving:

dylan
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi Global
Welcome to the site.
I'm in Ottawa, ON and might be able to give you some local insight.

in Ottawa, the low guys get $15-$25 per cut or $300 to $500 per season.

i used to cut at $550 and just couldn't make it work.
Several of the bigger long term companies in the area charge $600 to $900.

Last year I jumped to $1200 per season. Best decision in a while!

Don't sell yourself short.
Dylan

TheGCentre
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi guys, I am working in Richmondhill, Ontario. It's great to see some Canadian members on this site.

I'm still in the process of starting, so I am doing a lot of reading up on this site and it has been a great help.

Dylan, if you don't mind me asking. How often do you cut the grass and what other services do you offer for $1200/season?

Thank you for your help

gofrisbee
01-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Global
Welcome to the site.
I'm in Ottawa, ON and might be able to give you some local insight.

in Ottawa, the low guys get $15-$25 per cut or $300 to $500 per season.

i used to cut at $550 and just couldn't make it work.
Several of the bigger long term companies in the area charge $600 to $900.

Last year I jumped to $1200 per season. Best decision in a while!

Don't sell yourself short.
Dylan

Dylan, does that mean you are only cutting 20 times a season? Are you charging $60/cut when others are charging $15/cut lowball and $45/cut bigger companies? or do you cut more than 20 times a season?

cenlo
01-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I base all cuts on 24/season and a 3000ft2 lawn would be min. $30.00-$35.00. They pay per season and extra over 24 cuts. If you are insured, with equipment this should be a min. If you start lower it will take you years to get the prices up.

TheGCentre
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
So do you do it once a week! Once every two weeks? What are the cutting rotations?

cenlo
01-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Once per week.

TheGCentre
01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
So I'm assuming you have assigned days to customers! Monday for house X, Tuesday for house Y and so on? Am I right?

cenlo
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
You are correct!

TheGCentre
01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your help sir..

dylan
02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry for the long delay with my reply. I've been busy with snow.

I do charge 1200 per season. It is 200 per month for six months. I cut weekly from mid april to mid nov. For this price the customer gets mowing, trimming and blowing.
Yes it works out to about 60 per cut. It's pretty tough to make a living at 20. I did a quote just the other day where the lady is currently paying 12.50. yes 12.50. I'm sorry but no one can even drive there for that. 15 years ago when I was just a young lad on a bicycle, I charged more than that.
Everything else from hedges to fert is extra.
One time cuts are 75.
I now have no problem saying no to a job if I'm going to lose money. Why bother?

How did I come up with 1200? That a great question!
I did some reverse math.
I determined how many customers my crew could comfortably cut in one week.
Then I added up every single cost that could occur over the season. a partial list would include:
labour
wsib
payroll
accounting
advertising
repairs
truck
trailer
mower
trimmers etc
insurance
phones
handtools
gasoline

and then the MOST important part

The PROFIT.

So i added the expenses to the profit and divided this number by the number of customers I could cut.

And 1200 was the magic number.

The next step was to approach every customer, explain the situation and ask for 1200. It does not hurt to ask but it will hurt you to lose money every year. When i was previously charging 550, I was subsidising every customer by hundreds of dollars. That money was coming out of my pocket. Its coming out of your pocket too if you are not aware of your overhead.

Good luck out there and stay safe.

TheGCentre
02-22-2006, 12:38 PM
So I got my first quote request in Scarborough, Ontario. The property is a commercial property and to be honest I don't know how to quote these guys. They require lawn mowing, hedge trimming, fertilizing for 2006 and possibly snow plowing for 2007..

Any advice on how I go about pricing. I know this has been discussed several times on the board but I can't relate to the American Landscapers..

Any pointers are appreciated guys, thanks..

dylan
03-04-2006, 06:15 PM
How are you making out with the quote?
Do you know how big the property is?
How long it wiill take to cut , trim, weed, edge or do anything else they want.
How much does it cost you to operate per hour?
How much profit do you want to make off this job once the expenses are covered?

If you answer these questions, bidding should be pretty easy.

Get your accountant to help you with the expenses and overhead recovery.

TheGCentre
03-06-2006, 04:09 PM
This property is requesting quote for lawn-mowing, hedge trimming, fertilizing, seasonal clean-up. And possibly snow plowing in the winter, but the property manager specifically asked for both salt and snow-melt.

As for measuring the property, I was going to directly ask the property manager for the size, because to be honest I don't how to measure the size of the property.

I'm a one man band therefore I don't have much overhead now.

any idea what's the going profit rate for commercial sites?

dylan
03-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Here are the ways that i measure properties.
Hire a surveyor
Chain it
use a measuring tape
use a measuring wheel
use a builders level
eyeball it
compare it to another property
use the blueprint
step it off

Did you try any of these methods?
I've seen companies get anywhere from 5% to 75% as a going rate.

TheGCentre
03-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Well after calculating all my expenses and materials I came up with this quote.

Considering that the property is mostly parking lot and loading bays, I figured it will takes more time to plow in the Winter than it would for the Summer season.

Summer services:
- Garss mowing.
- Weed control
- Fertilizing
- Shrub & hedge trimming
- Cleaning (air blowing and leaf removal)
$ 3,500 + tax

Winter Services:
1- Snow removal
2- Ice-melting application
$ 6,500 + tax

The property is a commercial site with front entrances and rear loading bays. it has 24 units and i consider it a big property.

TheGCentre
03-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Well after calculating all my expenses and materials I came up with this quote.

Considering that the property is mostly parking lot and loading bays, I figured it will takes more time to plow in the Winter than it would for the Summer season.

Summer services:
- Garss mowing.
- Weed control
- Fertilizing
- Shrub & hedge trimming
- Cleaning (air blowing and leaf removal)
$ 3,500 + tax

Winter Services:
1- Snow removal
2- Ice-melting application
$ 6,500 + tax

The property is a commercial site with front entrances and rear loading bays. it has 24 units and i consider it a big property.

gldec
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Here in SE Texas it's pretty much a year round cutting season, literally. I think we only have about a 2 week stint where the weather is too cold.

With the price of gas the way it is, doing anything for less than $40 would be unwise, and I know many competitors that charge more. Then there are the small time young entrepreneurs that always seem to be busy during the 9 month summers we have around here:) .

g

TheGCentre
04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I got a customer who needs a quote for lawn mowing. the garden is very small, it's about 6' x 20'. The only problem is on quarter of the lawn is dead and it seems like something is eating through the lawn, the grass gets thinner towards one corner. I'm assuming this customer will need pesticide and fertilizer, any idea what i should charge for a job like this?

Norm Al
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
tru green is the only company i know of that comes up with a blanket price,,,,,i price each job on its own merits!