PDA

View Full Version : Too late to overseed?

The landscaper
11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Is it too late to overseed in the next couple weekends?

befnme
11-13-2005, 10:47 PM
i am still doing it for customers and i am behind , as a matter of a fact i still have to do my horse and cow pastures too .

competitiveimageland
11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
what kinda grass seed mix are you using. most turf seed mix's are perenial rye grass so shouldnt be much of a problem , just dont expect to see an overwhealming appearing in another few weeks prolly wont see a difference till spring. think the germination rate drops 20% per year with seed from what i remember could be wrong though

befnme
11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
what kinda grass seed mix are you using. most turf seed mix's are perenial rye grass so shouldnt be much of a problem , just dont expect to see an overwhealming appearing in another few weeks prolly wont see a difference till spring. think the germination rate drops 20% per year with seed from what i remember could be wrong though

you should not have a problem if you use winter rye , it should be out of the ground with a thick cover in about 2 weeks with descent irrgation .

Envy Lawn Service
11-13-2005, 10:53 PM
At this time of year I feel it is best to do the soil work now before the ground freezes, then hold off on the actual seed until your area is past the germination window.... in other words, dormant seeding.

That is, if it is fescue you are talking about....

befnme
11-13-2005, 10:56 PM
At this time of year I feel it is best to do the soil work now before the ground freezes, then hold off on the actual seed until your area is past the germination window.... in other words, dormant seeding.

envy i think he means like a cover crop or a green winter lawn .

competitiveimageland
11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
was doin slit seeding two weeks ago, seems to be goin just fine the dethatching attachment make a great "hay barrier" for the seed

lawnprosteveo
11-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Is it too late to overseed in the next couple weekends?
All the things I have read and heard say its ok to overseed fescue and rye now. If it goes dormant before it has a chance to get going, then it will come up in the spring. :cool:

befnme
11-13-2005, 11:01 PM
i broadcast mine the i run over it with a home cheapo spike aerator , it works great .

Envy Lawn Service
11-13-2005, 11:04 PM
envy i think he means like a cover crop or a green winter lawn .

Yeah, thought of that and had to edit....

Hitsy
11-18-2005, 05:28 AM
Can someone give me information on overseeding, anything and everything would be helpful. I'm not sure what overseeding actyally is. I need ideas for planting grass where there's already grass but very thin. Thanks.

upidstay
11-19-2005, 12:04 PM
You sure can overseed now. I do it here in CT until the ground is frozen. It will come up in the spring. Just hold off on pre-emergants until the lates possible time.

vincent c. gomeyac
11-21-2005, 01:46 AM
With what I understand, OVERSEEDING refers to broadcasting a diff. kind/type of grass (most of the time rye) OVER an existing warm season turf
DORMANT BERMUDA) for a verdant green winter color.
My transition area, YES I can, BUT, germination rate declines.(rye grass germinates faster than any other type of grass seed)
IF your purpose is to RESEED, I do believe it is still possible (if you're compelled) in my area. This is an existing lawn/turf broadcasted with the same kind of grass mix,blend or variety.

topsites
11-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Can someone give me information on overseeding, anything and everything would be helpful. I'm not sure what overseeding actyally is. I need ideas for planting grass where there's already grass but very thin. Thanks.

Overseeding simply means putting seed down over existing grass, simple as that.
Doesn't really matter how, whether by hand or spreader, it just means you already have grass but are putting more seed OVER it, so to speak.
Here in Virginia, I seed / overseed until it gets real cold, the only thing is it will come up in spring but so long you use a good seed and plenty of it, come up it will, never had a problem with that.

muddstopper
11-21-2005, 10:27 AM
A lot depends on where you a re located and the seed you are planting on when to overseed. Some in the south use rye to coverup the dormant (brown by now) Bermuda and Zoyzas grasses. They usually use either a annual rye or a grain rye but they can also add more Bermuda seed as long as it is unhulled seed to thicken up the Bermuda next year. Waste of time if you ask me since a properly cared for Bermuda lanw should thicken up on its own. The Farther northern folks will overseed with prennial ryes, fescues, Kbg in an effort to thicken up a poor stand of cool season turf. Seldom is a annual rye used unless the homeowners are trying to replace/create a rye free lawn. Altho annual rye is sometimes used as a nurse grass or temporary cover until a perminate lawn can be planted. Generally, the season to overseed is the same for planting normal stands of grass. Better results can be had in the fall and early spring than in summer. Still, overseeding can be done year round, Generaly, I Seed as hard as I can until Thanksgiving and then will take a break as my area weather conditions sort of goes thru a transition from Fall to winter. I Get just enough warm days between Thanksgivng and Christmas to germinate the grass only to have it winterkilled in Jan/Feb. I will start back seeding Jan 1 as long as the ground isnot frozen. This is considered dormant seeding because I know the soil is not warm enough for proper germination, but as soon as the ground warms up the seed will germinate and grow. By Seeding in the dead of winter, I can get a good stand of grass in the early spring and early enought to allow for weed and feeds such as crabgrass preventers without worrying about harming the grass seed. A lot here will tell you to increase seed rates to makeup for seed lost to varmints and rot during the winter, I am sure there is a certain amount of seed loss, but with todays suggested seed rates, I dont feel its neccesary to increase over these rates to insure a good stand of grass, you are probably putting out more than is neccesary already.