PDA

View Full Version : Got Tickets from Maryland DOT Today Help..

CrewCutEnterprises
11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Ok. quick run down, My guys are in an f250 and towing a 7k trailer.

We dont have a dot number yet
60.00 for no roadside triangles
80.00 for no fire ext
80.00 for no medical card for the driver

misc tix for no dot , etc

Does anyone in Maryland know how to get DOT number and all the things needed to stay legal??

DBL
11-14-2005, 05:56 PM
DOT are ball busters. I drove a tow truck for 2 years and one time got 4,560 some dollar ticket for a boatload of violations on a brand new tow truck. Dumb stuff like you said and other stuff

Allen's LS
11-14-2005, 07:34 PM
DOT can write tickets???

AintNoFun
11-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know how to get DOT number and all the things needed to stay legal??

i'd be curious to know how to get one as well...

Albemarle Lawn
11-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I know it sounds odd, but get it from the horse's mouth, not here at Lawnsite.com.

If you use a positive tone, the cop will probably actually appreciate the cooperation. If you choose to go to court, the cop will be able to testify that you are interested in compliance. If you demonstrate compliance (receipts of purchase of fire ext, etc) the judge may even dismiss the case.

KB

Turf Troll
11-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I found them in the blue pages two months ago , I am in De. the woman said if I was over 10,000 lbs I needed the # and she was going to do it over the phone or start it over the phone - but it seemed easy to get as much as I remember.

cleancutccl
11-15-2005, 12:13 AM
I got mine through the internet. Go to your state dot website.

hollywood
11-15-2005, 06:18 AM
I used the Internet also. I was able to print out all of the forms. I cant remember the exact website, but a quick search and you should be able to find something. The form I used was the Motor Carrier Identification Report which is the application for DOT #.
Staying legal means medical cards, fire ext, triangles, spare fuses unless vehicle equipped with circuit breakers, annual vehicle inspections, maintenance reports.

I agree with Albemarle. Be nice and polite, and keep your equipment looking clean and safe. DOT knows exactly what they are looking for. I think in my region they look for the older and abused rigs and go the easy target.

ynvvbr
11-15-2005, 06:30 AM
We also got ours on the net. We even got stopped, but the guys wee really nce to the cops, walked around the truckwaster about a half our making notes of what "they" wanted to see and they got off for a warning. I called the cop a day later and thanked him for helping us out. They aren't trying to be jerks from what I gather but trying to keep some of the bs that goes on from happening. It sucks but oh well.

Also once you get a DOT number you need to keep DOT records because if they inspect your records and they dont have them, they'll pull your number.

walker-talker
11-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I got mine online as well and took about an hour. It's kind of confusing, but once you complete the form, they give your DOT numbers right there online. I went to a DOT seminar that was held at a local mower dealer/repair shop (very good idea) this past spring. They said 90% of the time, for somebody in this business, they wouldn't even pull you over if you have your DOT numbers posted on your vehicle.

CrewCutEnterprises
11-16-2005, 11:00 PM
I got my number at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

took about an hour, i hope i filled it all out. Problem is. they want your driver to be 21, my forman is 19. and now him and i must get physicals for a dot med card...

geeeze

I got mine online as well and took about an hour. It's kind of confusing, but once you complete the form, they give your DOT numbers right there online. I went to a DOT seminar that was held at a local mower dealer/repair shop (very good idea) this past spring. They said 90% of the time, for somebody in this business, they wouldn't even pull you over if you have your DOT numbers posted on your vehicle.

2004F550
11-16-2005, 11:58 PM
with an F250 and a 7k trailer their shouldn't be any problem and no DOT numbers or card needed, if it was a 10,001 or greater trailer then you need number and med card...this is coming from our independent DOT compliance consultant

walker-talker
11-17-2005, 03:08 AM
with an F250 and a 7k trailer their shouldn't be any problem and no DOT numbers or card needed, if it was a 10,001 or greater trailer then you need number and med card...this is coming from our independent DOT compliance consultant
What do you mean it shouldn't by any problems??? With a 7,000 pound trailer....if your truck has a GVWR of 3,001 or greater, then you will need the DOT numbers. If you have an older 1/2 ton truck and maybe a 12ft single axle trailer, you might get away with it.

Also, you are figuring your trailer at 7,000 pounds because you have two 3500 pound axles? don't forget to add the weight of the trailer. My 16ft tandem axle trailer has a GVWR of 7,700 pounds and my '91 C2500 has a GVWR of 7,200 pounds...that puts me at 15,900 pounds.

Marek
11-18-2005, 08:09 AM
In Maryland there seems to be alot of gray area about this subject.Waht area were you in when you were pulled? There is a state trooper that runs 97 that really knows the laws,he pulled one of my friends trucks and wrote him up for everything including a ticket for the driver who couldnt speak fluent english.

AintNoFun
11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I got my number at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

took about an hour, i hope i filled it all out. Problem is. they want your driver to be 21, my forman is 19. and now him and i must get physicals for a dot med card...

geeeze

i looked at the website but what from i read it seems you only need a DOT # if you go across state lines, is that true?

walker-talker
11-19-2005, 08:20 AM
i looked at the website but what from i read it seems you only need a DOT # if you go across state lines, is that true?
No, that is not true. You need a DOT# if you have or capable of having more than 10,000 pounds on the road. That includes a truck or truck and trailer. Look in the door jam of your truck, if the GVWR = 10,001 or more, than DOT# is required. Also, if you are hauling a trailer, add the GVWR of your truck to the GVWR of your trailer, if these = 10,001 or more, than DOT# is required.

Richard Martin
11-19-2005, 09:20 AM
No, that is not true. You need a DOT# if you have or capable of having more than 10,000 pounds on the road. That includes a truck or truck and trailer. Look in the door jam of your truck, if the GVWR = 10,001 or more, than DOT# is required

Actually this is not true. The Federal requirement for DOT numbers is Interstate (from state to state) travel only. Intrastate (within a state's borders) DOT number requirements are determined by the individual states and not all states require the numbers.

Richard Martin
11-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Where in Annapolis did you get pulled over and who pulled you over?

I'm just south of you in Edgewater and I pull a 7,000# trailer with a modified F-150.

AintNoFun
11-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Actually this is not true. The Federal requirement for DOT numbers is Interstate (from state to state) travel only. Intrastate (within a state's borders) DOT number requirements are determined by the individual states and not all states require the numbers.

thats what my interpertation of what i read was.....

CrewCutEnterprises
11-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Richard Martin, Funny, I live in Londontown now, near the firehouse. Im based out of annapolis, My guys were comming from my annapolis off 665 to rt 2 south. they pulled them over at the harbor center but they dident see them till ft 2 bridge

From what I learned. I need a dot number because the como unit of 8800 f250 gvw and the 7000 lbs gvw of trailer puts it 15,800 lbs which is over 10,000 lbs.

An f350 dually with a company name on it needs a dot number now.

Also Md has strict rules, you may not need a US DOT number if you are INTRA state, but you need a MD DOT number as of jan 1st 2003

CrewCutEnterprises
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Intrastate (within a state's borders) DOT number requirements are determined by the individual states and not all states require the numbers.

Maryland does require a MD DOT number over 10,000 lbs

hollywood
01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
to those who have DOT physical/medical cards:
Do you know the best place to get the cards renewed?
Mine expires in less than two weeks. I called my primary care physician's office and they didn't seem like they wanted to deal with it because of the drug testing aspect.
I really don't want to go back to the last place I got the physical done. They processed you like cattle!
Thanks

TWUllc
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I need to renew mine as well. Putting it off until March. I just get my doc. to fill out the papers again. Mines an Intra-State DOT, so the papers might be a litttle less in depth for me. Only took him 5-10 min of paperwork time during the physical, then ran them up to MVA.

Marek
01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
DOT has been around Howard and AA counties hot and heavy. I think they are going to put a big push on all the way through spring.I have seen them pulling every commercial truck on Rt 1 over and in AA county they were redirecting all trucks and trucks with trailers down the road by the dump off of Rt 3.

Mike33
01-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I know it sounds odd, but get it from the horse's mouth, not here at Lawnsite.com.

If you use a positive tone, the cop will probably actually appreciate the cooperation. If you choose to go to court, the cop will be able to testify that you are interested in compliance. If you demonstrate compliance (receipts of purchase of fire ext, etc) the judge may even dismiss the case.

KB

This is good information. I got caught in 98 for the same violation except i had a 1 ton dump with no tarp on. I got a 70 ticket for tarp, and warnings on the other things you mentioned. I told cop i didnt know this and was new in business. I went to court and the cop told the judge i was very cooperative and they reduced the fine in half. Here in Md. no physical card it self could of cost you 300.00. But it is worth going to court they give me probaion before judgement for 1 year. Other wise this would of went onmy driver record and could of effected my ins. rate. My lawyer always told me too our dads fought for our right to a trial always excercise it.
Mike

Mike33
01-03-2007, 09:49 PM

The bottom line is it is a commercial vehicle dont matter if it only weighs 50 lbs you are treated just like it is a tri-axle.
Mike

Mike33
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM

Its free get it regarless what you think.
Mike

Mike33
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
to those who have DOT physical/medical cards:
Do you know the best place to get the cards renewed?
Mine expires in less than two weeks. I called my primary care physician's office and they didn't seem like they wanted to deal with it because of the drug testing aspect.
I really don't want to go back to the last place I got the physical done. They processed you like cattle!
Thanks

Im in cumberland and go to a clinic that does a lot of them.
Mike

hollywood
01-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Looks like that is where I am heading. I found a clinic in the county I am in that does them routinely.

Guthrie&Co
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM

80.00 for no fire ext

Does anyone in Maryland know how to get DOT number and all the things needed to stay legal??

I have a dot number and its a pain in the ass for sure. as a owner operator you have to get an employment application and keep it on file. you have to keep track of all the hours you work and that tells you how long you can drive. man the list goes on and on. i am going to turn my number in and not worry about it. it would cost me more money in the long run that it would to comply. Another thing is that you dont need a dot number if your trailer has a gvwr of 10,001 lbs or more and you are traveling more than 100 air miles from base or if you are crossing state lines. thats federal law. i have a whole stack of paperwork behind me from where i had my safety audit from the dot and man you dont want a dot unless you have to.

here is a list of recommendations / requirements from the audit]
- ensure drivers provide a 10 year employment history
-do not allow drivers on the interstate unless examined every 24 months
-drivers that qual and use the 100 air mile rule must fill out daily time records , must be retained for 6 months also only allowed 12 of duty per day, log book
-Ensure all doc supporting records of duty such as toll,fuel, repair and other expenses receipts as well as invoices, bills of laden, dispatch records ect are kept on file for at least 6 months
-establish a systematic maintenance record program for all vehicles. maintain complete file for each vehicle, record all repair, maint and inspection ops performed
- drivers to prepare a written inspection report for each day a vehicle is operated, to be signed my the driver, certified and reviewed if defects are reported then kept in vehicle for a day
-all driver inspect reports kept on file for 90 days
retain evidence on file of inspector qual in accordance to part 396.19 of fmcs
- retain copy of all roadside inspections for 1 year

the list goes on and on and on. for a owner operator its an absolute joke and i be damned if i do. its borderline harassment.and no more than i cross state lines with my equipment, its just not worth the hassle to me.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Looks like we have it easy in GA. I just printed the memo from teh GA DOT website about INTRAstate motor carriers and this is black and white print for the requirements for a GA DOT number.

1. In excess of 10,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weigt Rating (GVWR)
2. Transporting placardable amount of hazardous materials
3. Operating a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers including driver
4. Operating only within the State of Georgia.

Since neither my truck or trailer has a GVWR of more than 10,000, I do not need a DOT number. And it does not mention GCWR, so I do not have to add the weight rating together.

Now, if operating across state lines (Interstate) then the US Regulations apply.

Once I start towing in excess of 10,000 pounds, then I would need a GA DOT. #.

CrewCutEnterprises
01-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Also total,just remember, If you trailer is titled for 12,000 lbs and its empty.

you still need a DOT number, and in md a FREAKING CDL A if the trailer GVWR, the number on the title or vin plate is over 10,001, not if it accually weighs over that amount

All my trailers, my dump and equipments are titled at 10,000 for that reason. PAIN IN THE SASSASASAS

hollywood
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Also total,just remember, If you trailer is titled for 12,000 lbs and its empty.

you still need a DOT number, and in md a FREAKING CDL A if the trailer GVWR, the number on the title or vin plate is over 10,001, not if it accually weighs over that amount

All my trailers, my dump and equipments are titled at 10,000 for that reason. PAIN IN THE SASSASASAS

I feel your pain. In MD a trailer can be registered at 10k or 20K. We have our trailers rated at 10k also. I have a CDL B but that does me no good for towing anything heavier.

d&rlawncare
01-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Looks like we have it easy in GA. I just printed the memo from teh GA DOT website about INTRAstate motor carriers and this is black and white print for the requirements for a GA DOT number.

1. In excess of 10,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weigt Rating (GVWR)
2. Transporting placardable amount of hazardous materials
3. Operating a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers including driver
4. Operating only within the State of Georgia.

Since neither my truck or trailer has a GVWR of more than 10,000, I do not need a DOT number. And it does not mention GCWR, so I do not have to add the weight rating together.

Now, if operating across state lines (Interstate) then the US Regulations apply.

Once I start towing in excess of 10,000 pounds, then I would need a GA DOT. #.

Watch yourself on this one. I treid to look it up (what GA website says) but couldnt find it on the web site. The defination of a commercial vehicle in the federal regulations is GVWR and GCWR. Meaning that if they adopted this section of law (most states have) then you need a medical card regardless on inter/intra. Post a copy of the link you looked at and I'll look at it for you.

Most state websites say something like ---if you operate a commercial vehicle in excess of 10,001 pounds then you need a medical card. The defination of commercial vehicle GVWR/GCWR of 10001 or more.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Watch yourself on this one. I treid to look it up (what GA website says) but couldnt find it on the web site. The defination of a commercial vehicle in the federal regulations is GVWR and GCWR. Meaning that if they adopted this section of law (most states have) then you need a medical card regardless on inter/intra. Post a copy of the link you looked at and I'll look at it for you.

Most state websites say something like ---if you operate a commercial vehicle in excess of 10,001 pounds then you need a medical card. The defination of commercial vehicle GVWR/GCWR of 10001 or more.

You are right, I called GA DOT today and asked if the 10,000 lb limit was for power unit only, or for GCWR of power unit and trailer. They said that it is for the combined weight. They actually asked me who said I needed a GA DOT number and suggested that I weight out at a weigh station. I already know that I am over, just from the GVWR of the truck and trailer and I know that DOT will go by ratings and not actual load.

I already have a CDL, so I am looking into getting my MED card renewed, and I will be applying for a DOT # in the next few weeks.

d&rlawncare
01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
You are right, I called GA DOT today and asked if the 10,000 lb limit was for power unit only, or for GCWR of power unit and trailer. They said that it is for the combined weight. They actually asked me who said I needed a GA DOT number and suggested that I weight out at a weigh station. I already know that I am over, just from the GVWR of the truck and trailer and I know that DOT will go by ratings and not actual load.

I already have a CDL, so I am looking into getting my MED card renewed, and I will be applying for a DOT # in the next few weeks.

Sorry I wasnt able to give an exact answer. I was on lunch and my time was up or I would have looked further. If you have any question let me know. I work motor carrier enforcement in MI. Most of the states have apodted the federal regs so they are uniform throughout the US.

Hard Worker
01-05-2007, 08:56 PM

80.00 for no fire ext

Sorry for the bad luck man. Hope tomorrow is a better day!:waving:

stoneseller
01-06-2007, 06:35 AM
A good local trade organization is the Maryland Motor Trucking Association. My company has been a member for longer than I can remember.
The MMTA has helped us out many times when one of our trucks / drivers has received a BS ticket from an overzealous Cadet cop.
Their website:
http://www.mmtanet.com/about/about_info.htm