PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass on concrete patio...

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 08:42 AM
A couple of years ago the wife and I went to the coast for the weekend and left our 17-year-old son home. Some how he experimented with fiberglass and put some under the torch on our back patio. I have two pools of melted fiberglass on the concrete patio that has a broom finish. Anyone know a tried and true method of getting this stuff off without doing too much damage to the concrete? Thanks.

Need a Little Trim
11-16-2005, 08:54 AM
40 Grit Sandpaper and dreams

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 09:32 PM
I thought about sandpaper/grinding wheel but don't want to do too much damage. But considering the alternative of having the crap on the patio guess I really can't go too wrong. :waving:

Dirty Water
11-16-2005, 10:01 PM
fiberglass the whole thing?

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 10:19 PM
LMAO! Actually when my son finally leaves the house for good I'll probably cap the whole thing with some type of paver, stone, etc. When that time comes I'll be asking the pros here for advice. He's also spray painted car parts on the patio and some of the bright blue paint made in onto another area. :cry:

UNISCAPER
11-16-2005, 10:48 PM
If you use a 4# BFH and tap lightly, you sould be able to chip it off without wrecking the concrete. Fiberglass and concrete are incompatable items, and after the water and elements take their toll, it would release all by itself.

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Duh me!!! Hadn't thought about that. It just might chip away. Thanks.

Dirty Water
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
LMAO! Actually when my son finally leaves the house for good I'll probably cap the whole thing with some type of paver, stone, etc. When that time comes I'll be asking the pros here for advice. He's also spray painted car parts on the patio and some of the bright blue paint made in onto another area. :cry:

Bright blue? Does he drive a ford?

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Bright blue? Does he drive a ford?

I drive the Ford. His is a beater Chebo Cavalier. Probaly the cheapest paint he could find. :D

Limeade
11-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Power washer, 3000-4000 psi

sildoc
11-25-2005, 09:28 PM
tooth brush and a lot of elbow greese.
My father always said, " either you will be smart or you will be strong!"

PurpHaze
11-25-2005, 09:36 PM
tooth brush and a lot of elbow greese.
My father always said, " either you will be smart or you will be strong!"

Doc... It's fiberglass... NOT food. LOL :p

sildoc
11-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Purp,
Have you had any freezes yet? Thinking back I am guessing it wont be till early jan. I belive when the the concrete gets cold enough the glass will most likely break free. I think the pressure washer idea will speed the process up if not take care of the problem in itself.

PurpHaze
11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Purp,
Have you had any freezes yet? Thinking back I am guessing it wont be till early jan. I belive when the the concrete gets cold enough the glass will most likely break free. I think the pressure washer idea will speed the process up if not take care of the problem in itself.

No freezes yet. Usually our cold snaps start mid/late December. I've tried tapping on it with hammer and so far won't crack. I will have access to a pressure washer over Christmas vacation so maybe that'll work.

lpwhandyman
11-26-2005, 12:37 PM
hot water pressure washer would definitely do the trick.