PDA

View Full Version : QUOTE ME-- PLEASE--

Greenkeepers
03-27-2001, 04:53 PM
Hey All-

I'm writing up a bid for a new install from seed here. I've got 7500 sq feet to sow. Jobsite is 10 min away from shop.

My cost for materials as follows...

Seed 40# @ 1.66 = 66.40
Straw 10 @ 3 = 30.00
Starter Fert = 24.00
Rockhound rent = 125.00
-------
245.40/7500 $.03 per sq foot

The customer doesn't want additional topsoil , although I'm trying to talk them into it. I was going to charge $.17 per square foot which is $1,275 (plus tax).

I figure this to be about 5 hrs of work w/ 3 workers..
I will haul away debris and use the rock for my new building floor for the base. (guess 2 truck loads @ $15 per truck).

How does this sound. I think that I should put more in ther e for my bobcat being at the site for rockhounding. Or do you think that should be included in the .17? There is a ton of work in the area for new installs and I want to make sure I start getting some of them.

Thanks

kutnkru
03-27-2001, 08:07 PM
I always use 5lbs of fert and lime per 1m/sf of area to be seeded. I apply 6lbs of seed per 1m/sf. If peat is used to topdress the seed I apply 15.2cf per 1m/sf. If straw is to be used to cover the seed I figure 1.5 bales per 1m/sf.

For Peat it would be:$689.00
40# lime
40# starter fert
48# seed
121.6/cf peat moss
$125 equipment rental

For Straw it would be:$405.00
40# lime
40# starter fert
48# seed
12 bales straw
$125 equipment rental

Good Luck this season!
Kris

Greenkeepers
03-27-2001, 09:38 PM
Thanks Kris-

What do you think about adding for the bobcat. Or should I leave it in the .17

FIREMAN
03-27-2001, 10:11 PM
You should add in an equipment charge for every job you do, if you didn't own it you'd have to rent it, and since you do own it why should you have to pay for it, since you wouldn't own it for your own personal use.. I charge out equipment for every job, whether I rent or own. I ussually charge per day or fraction of an 8 hour day..my charges are in line with those of rental yards that are local....just think, if you charge for your equipment on every job you'll pay it off faster and have more money to buy more toys(lol).. really, if you were an excavating company you'd charge by the day..so why not....also on the subject of rockhounding, if you are not proficient at the operation of a rockhound allow extra time to do a quaility job....and as far as your estimate, I prefer to use a different line for each item...as you have..except I would add one for labor..

LABOR..MAN HOURS X HOURLY RATE
Also I know nothing of your market, but here it is acceptable to charge more per hour for your equipment operator and supervisor since they would be considered skilled labor...
GOOD LUCK.......

Rex Mann
03-27-2001, 11:32 PM
Mike,

You need to charge for your machine.

Rex

Greenkeepers
03-28-2001, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys-

I ended up finishing the estimate and did charge for the machine being there. I also kept the lines separate and I did include labor for the job. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rex we still have to get together for lunch....