PDA

View Full Version : lawn renovation help

mulcahy mowing
11-16-2005, 06:31 PM
ok i have a lawn in a new development. It needs to be re-done it was seeded with a hydroseeder in the spring and that did'nt work out to well. It will need new top soil it has weeds growing realy bad. on it to i can get sod for $100 per thousand square feet.

i was wondering i need to roto till the yard right? or could i just put top soil on top of the weeds? and then seed it i was thinking just use seed in a spreader and apply to the turf it works for the jobs i have done never did any thing this big before.

what would you do? what would you use to do it? i'm not shure about sod with that size lawn

Help

and the lawn also has a sprinkler system so the use of very large equipment like a harley rake would be hard to do

tiedeman
11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
my personally suggest is to work the old in with the new. Or another thing to do is just kill off the entire old lawn with a strong non-selective herbicide and start from that

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
There are so many factors to take into consideration. What type of soil is there now? Why did the last lawn fail? What type of grass was it? Was it maintained properly? Is the area in shade or full sun? Might want to get a soil test done to see if the soil needs anything.

mulcahy mowing
11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
the soil was top soil put in by the last company. The lawn has full sun the last lawn didn't get enough water the irigation system was just put in. not sure the type of grass it was just what would you use to clear the lawn out to get it ready to seed?

TURFLORD
11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
If you use a tiller you'll destroy the sprinklers. Spray everything with glysophate( round-up), slice, and seed.

BeautifulBlooms
11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Here is another question, along the same lines. I have a job for next spring where the lawn was very spotty in areas. The grass that is alive is doing well and is a few inches above the dead thatch of the bad areas. We aerated this fall because the soil was all clay with a touch of topsoil on top. We planned on spreading out some soil in he bad areas and seeding, but I was wondering how the seed would take with an inch of soil on tops of the old dead thatch. Is there any way I can remove the thatch from the really bad areas before I spread the soil. What it looked like to me was sod was laid right over the clay with minimal topsoil. They didnt water enough so the gras that survived is fine btu the bad areas are just matted down dead thatch. Now they are putting in an irrigation system which will really help keep that clay soil moist. And I also recommended yearly aeration because of how hard the clay soil was. Any tips for removing the dead thatch or just lay some soil over the top of the areas (basically like dog dead spots) all over the lawn.