PDA

View Full Version : MK Wet saw opinions

vntgrcr
11-16-2005, 07:49 PM
I have been researching getting a wet saw for doing pavers and want a MK brand. My dilemna is that they make a model MK-100 for doing tile work. 10" blade, 3 3/4" depth, 1 1/2 HP motor, less than $600, etc. Then they make a MK1080 for pavers. The same specs as the 100, maybe a heavier duty slide table, a spring loaded lift on the cutter, $1100, etc. I can't find a reason to justify the extra $. I will be doing 2-10 jobs a year. I am sure some of you guys use these, let me know what you think. Thanks
David

http://www.mkdiamond.com/masonry/saw_1080.html
http://www.mkdiamond.com/tile/saw_100.html.

CuLayTur
11-17-2005, 12:57 AM
You can't go wrong with a MK saw we use this one:

http://www.mkdiamond.com/masonry/saw_2000.html

It allows are guys to make quick work of any size brick,paver or stone that we are working on. We can even cut an entire SRW block in a two passes.

Curt

DVS Hardscaper
11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
For a true paver saw, there is ONLY one brand.

EDCO.

Will be way more then the numbers statd above. But, you get what you pay for!

http://www.edcoinc.com/index.html/screen/hardscape_saws/session_id/d04d90badfd57237765bfe313c037598

Dreams To Designs
11-18-2005, 08:37 AM
I have to agree with DVS. All the paver installer I work with favor the EDCO saws over wet saws, especially at this time of year. Cleanup is always a breeze and no mess to deal with.

Kirk

Green-Pro
11-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Around our neck of the woods the preferred brand is Target.

www.targetblue.com

vntgrcr
11-25-2005, 05:20 PM
I used my new MK 100 today and it worked great. The saw came with a tile blade, so I changed it out to a segmented dry blade for another $75. I am very happy I went with the 100 as opposed to the 1080 and saved $600. I am sure if you were doing pavers every day, then the 1080 may be better but for a job a month or more, the 100 is a great deal. It came with a stand and a whole kit of jigs for doing miter's etc, maybe more applicable for tile, but I may use parts of it. Give the 100 some thought if you are in the market for a wet saw.
David

Grn Mtn
01-18-2006, 04:43 PM
food for thought, I went with the mk1080 but I bought it used at my local rental yard for $500.

jreiff
01-18-2006, 06:37 PM
We use a Target wet saw as well. But is too heavy for one guy to lift and set on the stand by himself. So it is pretty much a 2 man operation.

The EDCO saw loooks pretty nice. 1 guy able to set up and take down by himself? How much do they run?

jreiff
01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Was just looking at the EDCO web sight and looking at some of the saws. How do you like not being able to move the blade up and down? Easier that way? Any pros and cons?

Would definatley have to go with the expandable pro cart. Would be a pain kneeling all day to cut.

Dreams To Designs
01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Not moving the blade is not an issue, less moving parts makes it more durable. The con would be the price, the pros start with durability and continue with ease of cleanup. Absolutely go with the cart. Easy & safe to move around, plus adjustable height to the user.

Kirk

Grn Mtn
01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
I like the wet aspect(I plow in winter((except this crappy one)) so don't worry about cold) saws to keep the dust down. Neighbors hate dust.

The MK1080 is a beast, I dread moving it. I think I'll have my buddy refab the stand so its on wheels.

It would be nice too if the rolling tray for the saw could be screwed up and down to meet the blade. This would allow me to use larger block.

Oh well, I like the price I paid for the amount I have used it so far.

klkanders
01-19-2006, 11:33 PM
We also have used Target wet saws for years. Have 2 and also a tile saw of another brand. Make sure whatever saw u use has a durable sliding table. Buying and using quality diamond blades is also key. We use the same blades on our cut off saws as well. We install alot of pavers and segmental retaining walls with these. No one has mentioned this yet. Pro's and Con's. Electric saws are cheaper but tripping breakers seems to happen often and is a pain. Gas saws are more expensive but can be used when electric isnt avialable.

UNISCAPER
01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
We've had a few Edcos over the years and you can move the blade up and down. Stay away from electric saws unless you have a fair amount of electircal work so you can wire a temporary 30 amp breaker into the load center and remove it after you finish. As far as gas, I prefer large horsepower to small. You can't get enough power when it's time to put the blade to the concrete.

jreiff
01-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Anyone that has an electric saw, do you have a generator?

Green-Pro
01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Anyone that has an electric saw, do you have a generator?

I've got an electric Target, no Jenny, and outside of only a very few times, haven't got a serious issue with tripping breakers. I do not install a breaker usually whats at the panel has been sufficient. I got a buddy that is one of the managers of a large electrical contractor, he told me the key is to plug in as close to the breaker box as possible (we do that) and gave me some recommendations/tips on building a drop cord, no longer than 25' 15 amp plugs and I think (can't remember for sure) 10 gage cord. He also said as a last resort you could set a box fan directly in front of the breaker panel to help cool it down, this I've never had to do.