PDA

View Full Version : Lifting, hoisting, moving, and placing rocks and boulders?

Steve C
11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I was talking to one of the guys today and he asked me if I could build something to make it easier for him to hoist, lift, place and move rocks and boulders. He uses either the bobcat or the loader.

We wondered about some type of ice-tongs like device that could pick up the rock from the top. I'm thinking of some kind of closing jaw device that relies on the lifting action and the weight of the object to close the jaws. Clear as mud?

If you know what I'm talking about and you have any ideas, I like to hear them. Otherwise I'll see if I can get some type of sketch or drawing posted.

Thanks

MJ
11-16-2005, 10:34 PM
How about a small logging-type grapple?

Or a regular rock grapple they make for the Bobcat?

east sooke man
11-16-2005, 10:49 PM
take a look at this site http://www.builtritehandlers.com/ssg.htm looks like a great attachment!

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 11:34 PM
How about a small logging-type grapple?

A peavy???? :D

PurpHaze
11-16-2005, 11:38 PM
One of the rock companies around here uses a closing sling type contraption. I think it's made of nylon and kind of looks like Chinese fingers. When they get the rock set they unhook the bottom and the sling falls away as they lift it.

fishinman22487
11-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Steve- I have the answer for YOU!!! Go to www.rockjaw.com. Perfect for skid steers or a backhoe.

MJ
11-17-2005, 08:48 AM
A peavy???? :D

That would be interesting to watch - trying to move a rock with a peavy. No, I meant a hydraulic jaw-type thing that grabs the logs (or in this case - rocks).

PurpHaze
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
That would be interesting to watch - trying to move a rock with a peavy. No, I meant a hydraulic jaw-type thing that grabs the logs (or in this case - rocks).

LOL... a grapple then it is. :D

Az Gardener
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Any thing steel will scar the rocks and they don't grow back. Use a nylon sling, there are a couple of ways to wrap them depending on the shape of the boulders. You can also get much better placement this way. Sorry I don't have any links or pictures. We do a lot of boulder work here in the desert so the straps are pretty common, check with a local crane company they probably use straps for some jobs and could point you in the right direction.

walker-talker
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Way back when, we just used a looped chain with a couple "J" hooks. Either attatched it to the teeth of a skid steer bucket or the teeth on a back-hoe bucket. Sometimes we had to chisel some handles on the rock so that the "J" hooks could get a bite. This is how we set the stone for these waterfalls.

walker-talker
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Here's the west waterfall.

LB1234
11-17-2005, 09:51 PM
We just use two 30k# tow straps. we lay them out across the front (its all relative of course) and flip the boulder onto them. Attach the hooks to the bucket and lift. I dunno, works really well, costs next to nothing...when compared to a specialized equipment.

Now, granted the largest job we had was moving 7 or 8 large (b/t 600-1500#) boulders. AND...a big AND, we weren't stacking them...our method wouldn't work for that. Basically just accent boulders in the landscape.

Steve C
11-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Thank you everyone, I have some good ideas to work with now.

Steve C