PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding, what is it?

Hitsy
11-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Can someone tell me everything I need to know about overseeding? I need ideas on how to plant grass where ther's already grass but it's thin.

upidstay
11-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Overseeding is done basically two ways:by hand or with a machine. By hand generall involves raking the heck out of the area, or using a potato hook or a Garden Weasel to loosen the soil down to about 1/4". Aerating the soil is another good way. Or, you buy/rent an overseeder. Ryan makes a nice one, as does Lesco. I would steer clear of Bluebird. Never liked the way they run or the results. A mechanical overseeder basically runs a set of vertical blades over the area that cut into the soil and remove thatch. Lesco's renovator is basically a dethatcher with a seed hopper on the front. Shallow (1/4" or so) grooves are cut into the soil and seed is placed into these grooves. Seed to soil contact is key to good turf establishment. Lightly rake off any heavy debris, broadcast spread in some more seed, apply some starter fert and a bit of lime, and keep the soil MOIST (5-15 mins of water, twice aday) and then send them a bill. I will often spray the entire area with round up first, killing everything, then starting from scratch. Had excellent-awesome-stupendous results with this method.

turfcobob
11-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Hitsy..The answer you got was pretty much right on target. I would advise that you do as he said only go over the property twice with the slitseeder / overseeder. You do two things by going over the property twice at a 45 degree angle or diamond pattern. One you get a good cross pattern so there are no missed spots. by just going straight back and forth you can easily miss a spot and get a call back later. Secondly and this is important..Measure your seed before you start and set your seeder for a 50% application rate. When you finish the first time over measure your seed again. If you used more than half cut back a bit on the rate, use more than half increase the rate. This method will assure and even rate over the whole lawn and the crossing over the first pass will give you better seed coverage.
Turfco out of Minneapolis has a good overseeder and priced right too. I have one and love it. Even use it on bare ground and get good results..go to
Turfco.com
and look at it