PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 11/18/05 - Insurance Q&A

Sean Adams
11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
The members of PlowSite asked if we could have a sponsored discussion where members could ask questions to an insurance agent who covers the snow and ice industry. I wanted to know if the members of LawnSite would be interested in something similar - a thread where members can ask insurance related questions and the insurance professional answers them. Let me know what you think.

Drew Gemma
11-18-2005, 02:25 PM
definitely this would be a great way to shop for comparable prices. Plus lower your overhead never hurts. Who knows maybe we could learn a trick or two also that may save us money and make us smarter consumers.

Lanelle
11-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I think starting with a list (and definitions) of the various types of insurance available to the industry would be a good starting point. For example, most understand the requirements for liability and workman's comp. insurance but how many owners have personal disability insurance or business interruption insurance or E&O? Who needs it and how do you know?

Spratz86
11-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Great idea Sean! I for one have a ton of questions....

MowerMoney
11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Great idea.
I would like an opinion on this one:
I am just in the process of probably turning down a local catholic church to do their church and the priests' house due to their insurance requirements. They have requested that I include in their contract a "hold harmless agreement" which basically says that I will take 100% responsibility for any possible lawsuits. What the heck! I am not incorporated, just a sole proprietor. Sure, sue me and take my business AND my house AND everything I make for the rest of my life plus my firstborn too. :angry:
All that for a $57 (for 2 locations 5 miles apart) per snow.:dizzy:
I think I'll pass on that one.;)

Tadams
11-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I think it would be a great opportunty to learn the ins & outs of something that confuses a lot of people. Great idea!

ranger351w
12-09-2005, 06:05 AM
I believe we need this Knowledge base available to lco's and we all know how involved and confusing ins. is. I am all for it.

stumper1620
12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I saw that on plowsite and I agree, That would be an invaluable tool for us, at least we could easily figure if our insurance is taking us for a ride or not.
I second guess some of the things my agent tells me a lot of the time.
Like 1800 bucks semi annual commercial insurance on my truck.:angry:
It started out at 1500 until I mentioned the diesel engine.

Ric
12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
SEAN

A national Insurance plan with Discount for members of LS would be nice.

Sean Adams
12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Ric - agreed....

I have spoke to a few agents who are interested in the idea of a Q&A...let's see who steps up to the plate

CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Ric - agreed....

I have spoke to a few agents who are interested in the idea of a Q&A...let's see who steps up to the plate

Did you start a new thread for this? Or has anyone "stepped up" yet?

Ric
12-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Did you start a new thread for this? Or has anyone "stepped up" yet?

Darn shame if no one stepped to the plate, a home run for everyone involved. However each state will have different laws and regulations. Insurance can be expensive and a Discount by being a member of Lawnsite wouldn't hurt anyone. Pesticide insurance is something not every insurance agent will handle. Trying to get hooked up with the right agent with good coverage, is a job in it's self. An agent who can provide insurance for all states might be even harder to find.

Critical Care
12-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Sean, this is a bit like a suggestion that I mentioned some time ago where I thought it would be useful to have a forum dedicated to this, but not just insurance alone.

When you think about it, when we start talking about insurance we also can easily get into legal matters, and then legal matters tend to cross over into accounting and tax issues that can be even more confusing than insurance. It sure would be nice if there was a forum where most of these bases were being covered by professionals. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could go to this forum and get an answer, or suggestion, from a legal firm on a question regarding a bad debt? Or perhaps you would have a legal question regarding incorporation. And, wouldn’t it be nice to go to this forum to get an answer on whether or not you could depreciate that Exmark that you bought from your buddy a year ago?

I guess when you think about it, the people attracted to Lawnsite are those who are typically in the industry, those looking for answers from the industry, or those selling a product or service to the industry. Inviting a few white-collar individuals to share their knowledge with others could be quite an undertaking, but nevertheless something that I’d like to see happen here.

muddstopper
12-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I sure would like to see this forum get started. Problem is, If I was an insurance agent, I would advoid the questions and answers like a plague. Insurance companies make money by selling policies, they can sell a policy easier if they are the only one telling the customer what they need or should have. I can already see some insurance representitive giving some sound advise and some idiot here telling him how wrong he is or how overpriced he is etc. Then forget the advise, all you have is a bunch of smart a$$'s telling how much better their policy is than everybody else.

Larson Lawn Care
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I think that having an insurance agent available for questions would be great, I would also like to see other professionals on here like lawyers,and accountants. I know that time is money, but maybe there is a few good hearted people out there that would be able to dedicate a little bit of there time to help others. It would hurt to try.

REENO
04-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Would Really Help The Little Guys!!!!!!!!!!!1

Critical Care
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I sure would like to see this forum get started. Problem is, If I was an insurance agent, I would advoid the questions and answers like a plague. Insurance companies make money by selling policies, they can sell a policy easier if they are the only one telling the customer what they need or should have. I can already see some insurance representitive giving some sound advise and some idiot here telling him how wrong he is or how overpriced he is etc. Then forget the advise, all you have is a bunch of smart a$$'s telling how much better their policy is than everybody else.

There are bound to be some “professional” people who do not want to offer advice because they feel that giving advice takes away from selling service. Are we the same way? Do some of us refuse to tell our neighbors how to set their controllers because we’re in the business to do that for money? If we were all that way then the Homeowner Assistance Forum would surely have fewer than 14,000 posts in it. Right?

And Muddstopper, yeah you’re right, there will always be those comments from the peanut gallery on how “my policy is better than yours” or “my mower is better than yours”. The sponsors have weathered the storm quite well, even though some guys will bash their products. Perhaps a forum dealing with insurance doesn’t have to be a forum run by a company trying to sell policies. It could simply be a place where advice is offered and services not sold. There are bound to be people out there who have retired from the insurance industry that aren’t out to make a buck.

I think the big problem is simply attracting these people who may know absolutely nada about landscaping or lawn care to even look at us. After all… how many of us have visited any online insurance forums lately?