PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for my daughters school

JRAZ
11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Hello there organics! My daughters school has a policy of not using any pesticides what so ever. They continually have some serious weed probems in their flower beds, mostly perennials grasses and broadleafs. Due to their not using pesticides, I suggested manual weed management would have to be used. Anyhow, I think I recall corn gluten being used as a preM? What do you use if anything for preM in flower beds to limit manual efforts besides mulch?

Thanks much!

JRAZ

EverLasting
11-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Corn Gluten may work in the flower bed but it'll also hinder root growth on the flowers. Why not mulch? or are they already doing that? straw/hay works to slow the growth of weeds. I've seen strawberry farmers do this to their fields.

upidstay
11-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Corn gluten works but takes a few years to build up enough of the enzyme in the soil to function. I had not heard of root plroblems, but I've been in an ongoing debate about all pre emergants stunting roots on plants. Mulch plus mechanical weed management is the best and only way to go if no chemicals are allowed. Used to maintain a private schools' grounds and they used weeding as a form of punishment for the kids. Simply taking a Garden Weasel (probably the best gardening invention since the shovel) or a 3 or 4 prong hook to the mulch and lightly fluffing it up weekly works the best for me. Keeps the mulch from getting comapcted down too.

JRAZ
11-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Their soil/mulch build up is already slighlty above grade level. So if we added more mulch we would need to excavate at least a few inches of soil. I would love to be able to use pesticides there as the kids don't access this particular area but their policy is in place no to use them at all. Looks like manual control is in order. It is like I tell everybody: weeds are like taxes, it is an unavoidable part of life!

green_mark
11-26-2005, 08:55 AM
To get rid of all weeds quickly (Hours) use Everything Must Go!
www.thegreenguardian.com

A number of cities have switched from Roundup to this as works faster and is organic.

Eden's Gardener
11-26-2005, 09:10 AM
A mix of 10% vinegar and orange oil as a surfactant sprayed directly on the leaves of unwanted vegetation - on a warm sunny day - should go a long way to killing out weeds. Some stuff will yes, have to be removed manually. But, weeding is part of gardening isn't it? I've not heard of EMG, but you can make your own with the above for very cheap. Sounds like maybe the beds weren't cleared of the root systems completely when started, and that may delay your perennial weeds. CGM does help a lot with weeds from newly exposed or planted seeds - not ever heard of it damaging root growth of established plants???? It works to keep newly forming puny seed roots from getting started. Its all I use for pre emg. on lawns and in gardens. Just not where I'll be seeding anything in the next few weeks. Thanks for teaching kids gardening - its a lost art in many schools. Replaced with turf, turf everywhere. Bugs are bad, water is plentiful and who needs flowers - go buyem at the store. A shame.