PDA

View Full Version : Can I start paver job w/ rain coming???

vntgrcr
11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Want to know what the opinions are on whether I could start a paver job on Mon. get a couple of hundred sq. ft. on the ground, but then supposed big rains coming for Tue. I obviously won't lay out all of my sand, only enough to lay down pavers for that day. Have not run into this situation before with rains predicted with only partial job done. I need to get some stone on the ground to take advantage of the decent weather, before the really bad stuff comes in. What would you guys do in this situation?

MarcusLndscp
11-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Sure you can. If you plan on starting monday I would make sure your excavation and base installation is complete prior to the rain. If your area is still below finish grade after base installation and has the opportunity to hold water I would atleast dig an outlet for any water that may want to be held in. I'm not sure what amounts of rain are coming and that may or may not influence how much you have to worry. You could even tarp the area to keep it somewhat dry if you'd like. As you stated don't put your sand down until you have dry weather and if your sand is on site it might not hurt to tarp it as well. Right now one thing we're dealing with is freezing temperatures at night. All of our bases for walls, patios, walkways, etc are covered with insulation blankets every night to leave the sites workable for the following day. Good luck

vntgrcr
11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Marcus, I didn't even think of blankets. The base I put down yesterday was frozen this morning about an inch down. Took a couple of hours to thaw so we could rake it out. All of the base is down and compacted so it should be ok. I will take your advice on tarping for sure. Thanks
David

NNJLandman
11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
If we sat around and wasted time for rain to come or worry about it coming before we start a job we'd never get anything done. Ya just havta keep working til you can no more.

Jeff

mrusk
11-19-2005, 07:50 PM
I'd be more concerned with the frost then the rain! Personally, with the storm they are saying is coming, i would just get the base down and compacted. Wait untill after the storm to screed the sand and start laying pavers.

MarcusLndscp
11-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Jeff, I couldn't agree with you more. This time of year you have to keep plugging away at the jobs and save up the $$$ for winter payroll, overhead, etc. Although, I do believe you have to keep upcoming weather in mind. For instance......we are in the process of putting a beach in that has a wall on the waters edge retaining the beach. The wall also wraps around the beach area and has stairs that go from the home owners yard down to the beach (about 5 feet of grade change). We were ready for excavation monday afternoon but opted to hold off with 2 days of rain coming, and the chance of hard rains at that. It was not in our best interest to excavate because of the possibilities of severe erosion into the lake. The state frowns upon this immensely. Instead we helped out another crew for 2 days and also prepared for winter a little bit. Some things just don't make sense to dig into right away.

NNJLandman
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Yea i totally agree Marcus, you havta keep weather in mind, but theres always other jobs to move onto, ya just cant stop and wait for weather especially when its not always accurate.

Jeff

MarcusLndscp
11-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Any progress VNTGRCR with your paver job??? Snow on the way for this week here.

vntgrcr
11-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey Marcus, yes we had a good day. Actually laid about 250 sq. ft. before we called it for the day because the clouds were getting dark. Layed out tarps over what we had down and the sand. Have some grading to do tomorrow with the CAT, and then back to the pavers on Wed. New MK wet saw will be here tomorrow so will put that to work on Wed as well. Luckily we don't expect any snow here on the Cape.
David

MarcusLndscp
11-22-2005, 07:23 AM
The Cape huh. Born and raised in Falmouth here. Where you from? I still have family in Mashpee and Yarmouth. Ever heard of Joyce Landscape or Francisco Tavares?

vntgrcr
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
The Cape huh. Born and raised in Falmouth here. Where you from? I still have family in Mashpee and Yarmouth. Ever heard of Joyce Landscape or Francisco Tavares?
Hey Marcus, Born and raised in North Falmouth as well! Moved out west at 19 in 82, came back here in 96. I'll let you do the math. The paver job is in Sandwich at the Ridge Club, which seems to be Joyce's territory. And just did a site job in North Falmouth where Francisco came in and took a bunch of large trees for his new tree farm. Small world huh? Take care.
David

MarcusLndscp
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah real small world. There are a couple other guys on here from Falmouth as well. I grew up on Chase Rd in West Falmouth and then spent a couple years living about a mile down the road in North Falmouth. My sister works for Joyce and I spent 2 summers working for Gary while in college. The Cape is just too big for me now a days. Although every time I'm down there the $$$$ is hard to resist. Too expensive to live though. I recently saw a show and they were saying that they were putting in low budget housing in Mashpee and the houses started at over $300k!!! Funny thing is that all the people with the multi million $ homes were frowning on these "low budget" homes thinking they were crack houses going in because they were considered low budget. In reality I guess they were being built for the working class....teachers, police officers, nurses, etc.
Good luck to ya